V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I have a 2005 Wide Glide (in case my screen name didn't give it away)

What are other Wide Glide owners using for windshields? I don't want one for everyday cruising around town, but I think it might be nice when I go for the 400 mile day trip.
I know HD makes one that is detachable, but I don't really want the mounting bracket on there when I am not using it. How many of you use the removeable, and take the brackets off too?
I like the quick release design HD has for some of their other models, but they don't have one for the '05. They came out with one for '06, but the description says '06, not "'04 and up"... anyone know what is different about the front end on an '06 compared to the '05? Link to '06 unit

What other windshields are out there, and being used by you all, for the WG?

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
The '06 models have 49mm forks, whereas the '05's have 41 mm forks.

Part # 59802-05 found on page 143 of the "06 Harkey catalog will fit your bike. The windshield attaches to the forks with four clamps and goes on or comes off in about 5 seconds after the initial installation is completed. There is no hardware left on the bike.

I have that windshield on my '06 WG. I'm 6'1" and the windshield comes up to around my chin. My head gets buffeted badly by the wind coming over the shield beginning at 45 -50 mph. If you are tall, I'd suggest you stay away from this windshield.

I've just sent off an email to Windvest asking about their products and describing my situation. Their shields are compact, but they claim their design keeps the wind off the riders chest and head. I'll post again when I hear back.

www.windvest.com

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had one of the detachable windshields and found it buffetted to much, I've talked with a number of folks who had the wind vest and liked it.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
I've got the quick detatch on my 05, love it.
The hardware left behind is minimal and people never see it.
The windshield doesn't buffet at all, if it does it's not installed properly.
Was about $350 for the docking kit and screen.

Here's the numbers for the 05 models, 58340-96, 58350-96

Brad

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RideMyWideGlide said:
I've got the quick detatch on my 05, love it.
The hardware left behind is minimal and people never see it.
The windshield doesn't buffet at all, if it does it's not installed properly.
Was about $350 for the docking kit and screen.

Here's the numbers for the 05 models, 58340-96, 58350-96

Brad
Are you talking about the one Gary mentioned? How tall are you?

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
No it doesn't seem to be the one Gary mentioned. Different numbers, I don't know the physical differences tho.
The one I mentioned isn't in my 06 supplement catalog.
Appears to be the same tho from the picture, but the numbers I gave you will find you what I have on HD's site.
I'm 5'11", and the shield just hits about the top of my head when I'm in "cruise mode".
Just went out and measured it. From the top tree, it's about 18"-18.5" high, and at the crossbar it's 20" wide. The mounts do stay on the bike with this one, but they are small and the clamps are polished...
I'll go take a picture in minute so you can see them..

Brad
<edit>
Here's the pics.. Bikes dirty as sh!t, so don't look at it.. :yikes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks for the pics. How does that top mount point attach to the upper tree? I just put new trees on, and I am not sure I would be able to use this application

here is a shot of what my trees look like

·
Registered
4 Posts
Windshield experience

I had a Windvest for my Deuce. It was really bad - specifically the buffeting around the head area and the air flow from under the windshield. Also, it did not direct the air flow above my head sufficiently. And it could not be adjusted very much.

I put on a HD quick release version. It worked very well. Some buffeting, but not nearly as bad as the Windvest. Note: This was the version that the clamps permanently mounted to the bike, not the newer 06 windshields that have no permanent clamps. I would recommend this windshield.

I have an 06 DWG and just put on the new quick release standard windshield (the new design). It is okay, not great. There is buffeting above 55 mph. Also, the windshield sits so far foward of the forks that it does not look good on the DWG. However, in regards to buffeting, I put my arm across my chest and it was almost totally eliminated. So the "Jacks Flaps" solution would probably work.

CAVEAT:
Lesson Learned - How well a windshield works is a function of how high the rider sits in the saddle. That is, shorter people will have much better success than taller people. I am 6'2" and sit very high. No windshield seems to work well with me (after riding many bikes with them).

·
Registered
178 Posts
The hardware on RideMyWidiGlides windshield looks much stouter than that on the quick release windshield.

Fxdwg2005, that windshield is still listed in the 2006 main catalog.

VaRanger, with your review, I've now heard both positive and negative comments on the Windvest. A friend in Texas rides with a guy who has a small Windvest on his WG, and he loves it. He's around 6'1" or 6'2.

Tami from Windvest emailed me to ask what kind of bike I had. I had put '06 FXDWGI (Wide Glide) in the header, but I guess she couldn't figure out what that meant. She did say that in any case, they would recommend a 16" shield for someone my height.

So, the dilemma continues.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
fxdwg2005 said:
cool, thanks for the pics. How does that top mount point attach to the upper tree? I just put new trees on, and I am not sure I would be able to use this application

here is a shot of what my trees look like

Yeah my stock trees have a cap bolt on the top/side, I've seen guys drill and tap a small hole when they are lacking, but that would be personal choice to make. I do know that the QD shield on mine is pretty good..
As mentioned above, it does sit a little forward for my taste, but that's why I got the QD, I leave it in the motel room or tent when I get where I'm going.
:brows:
<edit> Gary must have been posting at the same time as me...
It is stouter than the Quick Release setup... This got me as well. There was a Quick Release, and a Quick Detach, when I got mine at the dealer.... Didn't know the difference, but got the quick Detach... I'm told that the Q/Release was the one with the fork clamps that left no hardware when taken off... I'd rather have nothing left, but what is left there isn't bad in my opinion.

Brad

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got an 04 DWG and an HD detachable windshield. I only use it on long trips or when it's really cold/rainy but it works great! The brackets are not really noticable but do require relocating the turn signals to the forks. I've had no problem with buffeting.

Dave

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have an 04 WG with a windvest and I really like it. I leave it on all winter and on long rides. It doesnt stop all the wind but it sure make it a lot more comfortable. Adustment on the tilted position makes a big difference and if its not just right you get a lot of wind. I havent had the chance to ride with one of the bigger windshield to compare the two though.

dynarider04 said:
I've got an 04 DWG and an HD detachable windshield. I only use it on long trips or when it's really cold/rainy but it works great! The brackets are not really noticable but do require relocating the turn signals to the forks. I've had no problem with buffeting.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Windshield for a wideglide

I have a Memphis Shades on my Wideglide and it is great. You can see them in the Dennis Kirk mag. I do have the quick change on it and it works very well The cost is 190.oo for a sport shield and about 250.00 for a fat shield. Good Luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
motorcyclejimmy said:
I have a Memphis Shades on my Wideglide and it is great. You can see them in the Dennis Kirk mag. I do have the quick change on it and it works very well The cost is 190.oo for a sport shield and about 250.00 for a fat shield. Good Luck
Which shield do you have, Jimmy? We've had some guys here saying the Fats windshield makes the bike hard to handle.

How tall are you?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
I still have a MoCo windshield with detach kit from my old 1998 FXDWG.

One of these days I plan to sell it but am not even sure what it is worth.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have an 05 FXDWGI with the factory detachable WS that measures 19". I am 5'11 and get beat around if a strong wind is coming from the front. The top of the shield is around my nose and needs to be 4"-5" taller to prevent buffeting. I have scrunched down and the buffeting goes away. It seems to me that SOMEONE would make a taller f#@*ing WS, they can always be cut down if needed. Memphis Shades makes one that measures 22" but I don't want to buy one without trying it first. The "rule" is that you don't want to look through the shield but over the top. I see thousands of bikes on the road with guys looking through them and I know they are not getting the wind beating them around.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
:huh:

I look through mine... only about the top 3 inches of it, I can easily sit up and see over it if needed. If your head sticks above it, what's the point of having it.

I didn't have to relocate my turn signals with the QD kit either, but at night they do light up my WS pretty good.

Brad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Windvest

16" Windvest, aligned to the same angle as the forks and set on the lowest mounting holes. Love it. Yes, the bigger shields stop more wind but they look terrible on a DWG in my opinion plus you are supposed to look over the shield, not thru it. I'd rather not have any shield but the bugs are bad where I live and a shield is a necessity. The Windvest works well enough that where wind buffeting is bad at 60mph without a shield, I've slipped up to 80mph with the Windvest without even noticing that I was going that fast.

I'm 5'10 and I think the 14" was recommended but the 16 is perfect on a DWG. Re removal, 10 seconds with the right allen wrench and the shield is off- -only the two small brackets left on the bar to each side of the handlebar clamp. Not really noticable to anyone not sitting on the bike. Only takes a fews more seconds to take those off as well. Longer to put back only becuase you need to equal the tension on each side of the bracket and adjust the angle of the windshiled. Still- only a few minutes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Windvest

I'm about to buy a Windvest but could use some info from those of you running them. I like the looks of the 14", but I'm concerned that at 5'11" I'm right on the edge of their recommendation for the 16" for 6 footers. I'd rather have the 2 extra inches of windscreen than buffeting, so I'll probably go for the 16". My question is whether you'd recommend the 16X16 "widebody" or the regular width. My primary reason for getting the shield is to minimize the bug strikes to the face, but I can't stand the buffeting I've experienced behind a couple of other shields. It would seem like the 16X16 would offer a bit more of a quiet pocket behind it, but since I've never seen one in person or talked to anybody who owns one, I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
16"

I don't think you'd be happy with the 14". As I mentioned in my post, I am 5'10' and I got the 16" standard width. I decided the extra 2" would offer more protection and I was right. Of course, it may depend on your handlebar set up. I have a stock DWG bar set up. If you have extended risers, the shield is going to mount higher. The Windvest has several mounting holes on the shield so that you can adjust the height within a range of a couple of inches for personal preference. I use the lowest holes to raise the shield as high as I can. I can still look over it quite well. Re width- personal preference, just like choosing the Windvest itself over larger brands. I don't think the wider width would fit a DWG very well. Bottom line- no doubt a taller and wider shield is going to stop more bugs and provide more of a calm air zone. But if you think a shield doesn't fit the look of your bike- as I would prefer not having any shield on a DWG- the Windvest is a great compromise. Remember the name is WindVEST. It is supposed to relieve buffeting by keeping the wind from hitting you in the chest and it does this quite well. With the taller shield set high as mine is, the wind is pushed up and slips across the top of my helmet. The design of the shield- a little curved "flip" at the top helps direct this airflow. I live in Bug Heaven and the shield blocks most strikes. Yes- something occasionally slips by and smacks my helmet or sunglasses but most hit the shield or are diverted up from the airflow. Again- personal preference rules- I find this the best compromise between looks and protection for a lean cruisin' machine. If I want a bigger shield, I'll buy a bagger. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts