V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 FXDWG and want to to further customize it. I've done a Stage I kit and am not realy satisfied (I should have research more, but that is what the dealership recommended). I've just ordered the service manual and am mechanically capable (I've worked on car engines, etc) of doing my own work. I'd like to increase the performance and loudness as well as get a "thumping" instead of "purring" out of the engine. Am I limited by the SE II slip ons? Will the Dynojet give me the "thump" that I want? Any other suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check these sites...

www.heavydutycycles.com
www.nightrider.com

I may have the links mis-spelled (hope not). Heavydutycycles in Donny Peterson's site (he writes the tech articles in American Iron). Tons of options for twin cams and lots of opportunity to spend $. All depends on what you want to end up with, Personally, I'd go for a nice flat torque curve in the 2K to 4.5K rmp range. I assume stage 1 is K/N air filter, larger jet, and slip-ons, which probably put you just shy of 80ftlb and 70 hp, good gains for the money. Next step is probably head work to increase air flow, 95" displacement, cam, carb (SS or Mikuni), 2-1 exhaust... all in all a full package like that can run from $4.5 to 5.5K.

Unless your going to do the work yourself, look for a good shop in your area that does machine work on the heads and cylinders and can recommend components that they've had experience with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For one, get rid of the SE II's, they are too restrictive....If you still want slip-ons go with Cycle Shack....They used to make SE I,s....
Much better sounding and performing then SE II's....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gary i also have a 2000 fxdwg. i installed SE air cleaner,rejetted carb and SE tqpered slip ons part#80063-95a. I think this part was discontinued,but many dealers still carry this in stock. this muffler improved the sound trememdously. Now the bike has a nice rumble, not a loud bark like straight pipes, a little quieter than the V &H and a lot less expensive (approx $109). these are made by cycle shack and are the same as their tapered slip-ons. The power seems to have increased also. Can't tell, i do a lot of 2 up riding and the future-ex weights about 160 added to my 200.
ride safe Earnhardt #3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts