V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...
Looks like I go first here...Huh???
OK..2001 FXDL...Nice looking seat from the factory...but the support and the passenger comfort is not there...Don't want to ruin the nice lines...but comfort is important too!!
Any suggestions??
I looked at a Sundowner seat @ the Dealers..That may work...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Groucho,

Did you manage to find a nice seat? I have an '03 FXDL and need to upgrade the seat. The Mrs. can't ride more that about 45 minutes without getting a sore butt. I was leaning towards a Mustang seat.

dfk70

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Guys
I put a Sundowner Deep Bucket seat on my lowrider, looks good and made a big difference in comfort for me and my wife, but I still have to change my rear shocks so my wifes butt can ride longer !!!!
part no. 51540-01A in the Harley parts catalog.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put the Sundowner on my 02 FXDL. I had no problems with the stock badlander that came on it, but it was a no go for the wife. She likes the Sundowner.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got the H-D seat with the detachable backrest...HEAVEN!!!
Sold the sundowner on e-bay for 220.00
It was better than the stck seat, but not much back support..

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have an '03 FXDL and I had to change the seat out for my wife as well. We got the Mustang and it is wonderful. I also just changed out the shocks (progressive 440s) and that makes a big difference as well. Too bad they don't come like this from the factory :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got them from http://www.krooners.com. I seem to recall they were $398 (I got the 12.5" heavy duty springs). You will probably have to contact them to get a quote. That was the best deal I could find at the time I ordered (there was one site that sold them for 389 but with shipping it ended up costing more).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just went to the Americade and Progressive had a booth...
Sellin the 440's for 450.00...
They were out of em anyway..
Do you really think they improve the ride 450.00 worth??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not to quibble but for me it was only $400 - and yes, it was worth it for my wife and me. After all, we paid many thousands of dollars for the bike and my wife's back was hurting so much because of the poor shocks. Now she is so much happier with the ride quality. It would have been a loss for us to not get it since my wife would not have wanted to ride so much.

If I was the only one ever riding the bike I probably could have lived with the stock shocks - however, it does make a big difference and they are definitely worth something for the improvement. Are they worth $400 for me alone? I would have gone with the 412's and saved some money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I want to clarify that I am not at all displeased or disappointed at having spent $400 for what I am getting. It's just that if it would have been for me alone I would have gone for the 412's because I don't need the best technology in shock absorbtion (sp?) for this bike - but my wife does.

The ride is so much better all around. The ride is so much smoother. It feels like I am floating down the road (and not in the 70's cadillac sense of floating down the road at the expense of no handling abilities whatsoever). The shocks isolate everything and I feel much more solid instead of bouncing and feeling every little crack in the road like with the stock shocks. They really absorb the big bumps too - it's like every major bump is cut in at least half or two-thirds as far as impact is concerned. Handling is improved. I never noticed how poor the front forks are either until after the new rear shocks. Now there is a big difference between the front end and the rear end of the bike (not to make it instable or unsafe or anything - just a noticeable difference in ride quality).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bartonkj said:
I want to clarify that I am not at all displeased or disappointed at having spent $400 for what I am getting. It's just that if it would have been for me alone I would have gone for the 412's because I don't need the best technology in shock absorbtion (sp?) for this bike - but my wife does.

The ride is so much better all around. The ride is so much smoother. It feels like I am floating down the road (and not in the 70's cadillac sense of floating down the road at the expense of no handling abilities whatsoever). The shocks isolate everything and I feel much more solid instead of bouncing and feeling every little crack in the road like with the stock shocks. They really absorb the big bumps too - it's like every major bump is cut in at least half or two-thirds as far as impact is concerned. Handling is improved. I never noticed how poor the front forks are either until after the new rear shocks. Now there is a big difference between the front end and the rear end of the bike (not to make it instable or unsafe or anything - just a noticeable difference in ride quality).
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think I get your drift..
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts