V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All;

I'm seriously giving some thought to purchasing a 2nd HD. I love my Road Glide, but would also like to have a more nimble "bar hopper" kind of bike to take out when I don't feel like riding the bagger.

I've pretty much decided on a FXDL Dyna Low Rider, and am doing some shopping now for a used one. Figure I'll set it up as a solo bike, and add forward controls as I'm 6'2"...

Just looking for some input on this bike.

Of those that have one, what are your likes and dislikes, if any?
What mods do you suggest?
Are the mufflers slip-on, like the baggers, or is a whole exhaust system change required?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have a 2004 FXDL. Luv it. I put Kury forward cntls on and they are great. I am only 5' 10' and have the regular ones on. I would suggest the 3" extension fwd cntls at your height. Slip on SEII pipes, Yost Carb kit, and SE intake, and it sounds and runs very strong. They also make various seats that will move you forward or backward depending on what you need. I like the low center of gravity, but have to watch speed bumps due its low height. Thats why its a low rider.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I had a 2003 FXDL (traded it in for a 05 FLHTI). Great bike! I had the HD forward controls, and they fit fine (I'm 5'11", so you might want the extensions). They do have slip on muffler options, but I think you are more limited in chioces on the brands (Cycle Shack, maybe a few more slip-ons for Dyna's). I ended up putting a Hard Krome Xcelerator 2-1 pipe on mine, AN Big Sucker air cleaner, and rejetted it as well. Ran pretty good, a little rich, but I got rid of it before I finished tweaking it.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I have an 05 - mufflers are slip on - fewer choices if you want to go to an exotic exhaust setup but 90% of the exhausts are available. Ground clearance is low over speed bumps etc - not a big deal just keeps you alert in parking lots. You may want to change out the bars - I found my upper back/shoulders get tired on long rides due to leaning slightly forward - not a big deal on anything shorter than 100 miles.

Overall comfort and performance is good - forward controls are a must. Depending on the year an FXDL has just about the most amount of chrome straight of the showroom floor - helps save money in the future when others are buying chrome that you will already have.

Overall I have been very happy with choosing the Lowrider.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have an 05 FXDLI and I love it. I live in an area where I am blessed with a parsity of straight roads. The bike is responsive and a blast on the twisties. Not as quick or nimble as a Sporty, but a fantastic bike nonetheless.

I average 12K miles a year on the bike. A lot of time on the twisties and at least one trip per year in the 2K+ miles range. I have SE II Slip-on, nice sounding pipes, throaty, but not too loud for the neighbors. Quick release saddle bags and a sundowner seat (great for long rides). My 12 year old daughter rides with me often, so I have a sissy bar for her.

This is my first fuel injected bike and I would not go back to carbed. Starts first try, every time - no matter how hot or cold it is outside. The downside was, I got this bike in July '04, it was one of the first off the line, and the remap for the SEIIs wasn't available until late September. The FI could be quite ornery when going from highway to stop and go, in the heat. But I haven't had a problem since the remap.

I am 5'9" and am not a big fan of the mid controls. In fact, I heel shift 100% of the time and heel brake about 80% of the time.

I am in the process of putting together what used to be called the "Defender Conversion" Kit. Footboards and forward controls with a heel-toe shifter. That will be completed by next month.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Good choice....

I have a '96 LowRider and an '02 Ultra (made the pizza box detachable) and love both bikes. Have modified the '96 quite a bit, Mukini, Andrews cams, SE heads, V&H 2into1, and much more including forward controls. I put a HD Diamond solo seat on it...I'm 6'1" and fits real good. Use it around town most of the time. Use the Ultra for long trips mostly but since I've added the detachable hardware I'm riding it a lot around town where in the past that was reserved for the LR.

Again, my opinion, FXDL, a good choice for a 2nd grocery getter.

o~\o

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
I ride an 01 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I did raise it an inch and added forward controls for comfort. I'm 5'11" and the standard controls are perfect. My buddy rides an 01 Super Glide and it does handle better than mine, but the pull back risers and bars make the Low Rider more comfortable, IMO. I'm pretty sure it has to do with less rake, trail or both. So if your looking for a sportier ride, don't pass up the Super Glide or the Super Glide Custom. They may have changed the chassis a bit since 01, though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Duoglide_62 said:
My buddy rides an 01 Super Glide and it does handle better than mine, but the pull back risers and bars make the Low Rider more comfortable, IMO. I'm pretty sure it has to do with less rake, trail or both. So if your looking for a sportier ride, don't pass up the Super Glide or the Super Glide Custom. They may have changed the chassis a bit since 01, though.
I've spent time on a Low Rider and have an '05 Super Glide Custom. I agree you might want to look at the Custom. A great bike for around town or long distance. I've done 2 trips over 2,500 miles on mine and a 3,000 mile ride planned for May. To make it more comfortable on longer rides, I added Freeway Pegs (I am partial to Mid-mounts from growing up on dirt bikes). They really allow you to stretch out. I also put on the angled pull-back risers recently. I had the issue of sore shoulders on long rides due to the reach, but the risers have made all the difference in the world. Much more comfortable. Either bike is great, but I'll vouch for the Super Glide Custom anytime.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I own an 04 Low Rider or actually my wife does now. I logged 7500 miles on it before she took it away from me. Nothing to dislike about the bike. Not as many options out there for the Dynas as there are for the softails is the only drawback.

·
Registered
18 Posts
" Not as many options out there for the Dynas as there are for the softails is the only drawback. "

Ya Sure about that ?
:confused:

I found enuff to lose Much Dollars on !

And these dont show the Quik-Release Boss Bags, Taller Sissy bar, and is VERY hard to see my Custom Mirrors with these pics.
;)

Budds............................

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've rented and ridden others, but I wouldn't want to give up my Lowrider. If I could have a second bike, it would probably be a V-Rod. 3rd would be a touring bike.

For all around hot rod bar-hopping and long trips too, the Dyna's are hard to beat.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/hardball/lowrider.htm

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I've got an '03. Still have the mid controls. Typically ride with the feet on the hiway pegs and shift with my heel. Still have the mid controls for a second riding position for the long days in the saddle when one position gets cramped. Taken a 6k mile trip on it and have another long one planned for this summer. I'm 6'3" btw and it's plenty big for me. Great in the twisties but not so good if the road is really rough (but then what bike really is?).

As mentioned above, there are not nearly as many aftermarket parts available for the Dyans as compared to the Softail, apparently everyone rides a Sloptail. Probably just more Softies out there that care more about how they look than how they ride/perform.

·
Registered
248 Posts
lowriders

Well, I'll add to the party too.
I love my lowrider, an '05 and I love the carburetor, despite its potential touchiness.
I am 5'7" and like the mid controls, they fit me good. However, I too come from dirtbike background, I guess that might have something to do with it...
I also added a solo gel seat which moved me back a couple of inches, so my legs are somewhat less scrunched, however the reach now is longer...hmmm

Anyway, I love the profile of the lowrider, and it handles pretty well too. Like someone else said, not as nimble or quick as the sportster, (which was my first HD) but has other advantages. MUCH better on the highway IMO, I like the rubbermounted 88 and it's displacement/sound. (I have torque fit SEII's)
I also like the sporty front end believe it or not, I don't like the new "beefier" look of the '06 dynas. However, I did put a fork brace on my front end which does help the handling.

Lowriders rule, especially one's named molly.:clap:

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a 2003 FXDL with the Dyna Defender footboard kit and the passenger footboard kit for the wife. SEII slip ons and the SE air cleaner. Love the footboards but I'm 5'9" and my brother who is 6' says they're too short for him. He uses Forward mounts on his Dyna and says he should have gotten the extra long version. Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 04 FXDL and love it. Did a re-jet of the carb, pulled the baffles from the stock pipes--sounds and runs great. My only current issue is from a comfort related point and anyone who may have some input--I would gladly appreciate it. I am about 5'9 and have left the mid controls. I like the two positions for the feet and am just used to having the controls there as opposed to forward controls but I do find myself moving around a lot on longer rides. Legs out, legs in--cant seem to get comfortable and after a while I get a bad pain in the lower back on the right side. Sometimes even a bit of a stiff neck. I have changed the stock seat to the pillow seat from HD. Handelbars are stock and in fact, I spent 45 mins at the local dealer yesterday after doing some research on the bars and tried different ones over the bike to see if any seemed better before I pulled the trigger and bought. I am at a loss here--as much as I love the bike in looks, ride (aside from my concern) and handling, am I missing something here? Could it be the seat? The stock bars? A combination of both? Anyone out there have similar issues with ride comfort? Anyone swap out the bars? I know that HD has switched bars 3X between 99 and the present year. I know the riding positon for this model lends itself to some issues depending on the rider, but I dont feel that I am scrunched up or reaching too much---no tiredness in the shoulders or anything but I am just trying to see what I can do here aside from waiting for bike week and checking out some fellow rider's bikes and asking questions on some swiches and mods they have done. I am looking to make some longer trips out of state in the future and with all the changes regarding epa and what not to newer bikes, I do not want to part with my first bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Samrai309 said:
I have an 04 FXDL and love it. Did a re-jet of the carb, pulled the baffles from the stock pipes--sounds and runs great. My only current issue is from a comfort related point and anyone who may have some input--I would gladly appreciate it. I am about 5'9 and have left the mid controls. I like the two positions for the feet and am just used to having the controls there as opposed to forward controls but I do find myself moving around a lot on longer rides. Legs out, legs in--cant seem to get comfortable and after a while I get a bad pain in the lower back on the right side. Sometimes even a bit of a stiff neck. I have changed the stock seat to the pillow seat from HD. Handelbars are stock and in fact, I spent 45 mins at the local dealer yesterday after doing some research on the bars and tried different ones over the bike to see if any seemed better before I pulled the trigger and bought. I am at a loss here--as much as I love the bike in looks, ride (aside from my concern) and handling, am I missing something here? Could it be the seat? The stock bars? A combination of both? Anyone out there have similar issues with ride comfort? Anyone swap out the bars? I know that HD has switched bars 3X between 99 and the present year. I know the riding positon for this model lends itself to some issues depending on the rider, but I dont feel that I am scrunched up or reaching too much---no tiredness in the shoulders or anything but I am just trying to see what I can do here aside from waiting for bike week and checking out some fellow rider's bikes and asking questions on some swiches and mods they have done. I am looking to make some longer trips out of state in the future and with all the changes regarding epa and what not to newer bikes, I do not want to part with my first bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.

On my '03 Lowrider I have mid controls but mounted dyna foot boards on the front of the frame in place of the highway pegs. Got 'em adjusted to just the right angle for maximum comfort on long trips. I found the highway pegs to be not so comfortable, pads are much better. Don't look bad either. See pics on my page below. The bottom pic shows the current set up that I'm staying with.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/hardball/lowrider.htm

I now routinely heel shift and apply the rear brake with my right heel, so no need for forward controls at all; I have both, in effect. Works well for me, I'm 5'7" and the bike fits me well with the stock seat. No issues with the bars.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go with forward controls

Samrai309 said:
I had similar issues with my 2004 Lowrider until I finally put on the forward controls. The seat was replaced with a Mustang two piece which changed the riding position and helped slightly, but with the mid controls and highway pegs after a couple of hours my back would hurt. I put the forward controls on and really had planned to reinstall the mid pegs for an extra foot position option, but that was a year ago and see no reason to do so. The position of the forward control pegs was just about perfect for me. Whatever the reason - no lower back pain while riding now. Rode from Missouri to Virginia and back last June and had no back problems. May not work for you, but I'm happy with the results on mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
jeepnut said:
I had similar issues with my 2004 Lowrider until I finally put on the forward controls. The seat was replaced with a Mustang two piece which changed the riding position and helped slightly, but with the mid controls and highway pegs after a couple of hours my back would hurt. I put the forward controls on and really had planned to reinstall the mid pegs for an extra foot position option, but that was a year ago and see no reason to do so. The position of the forward control pegs was just about perfect for me. Whatever the reason - no lower back pain while riding now. Rode from Missouri to Virginia and back last June and had no back problems. May not work for you, but I'm happy with the results on mine.

Hey Dave and Jeepnut, thanks for the input. Two options I will look at.

Jeepnut, what type of Forward controls did u install on your bike? Did u do the install yourself, and if so, how was the job? I appreciate the feedback.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
Samrai309 said:
I'm 5'10"-5'11" and have no comfort issues whatsoever since I installed the forward controls, Super Glide bars (more pullback, height and narrower) and a Mustang seat. Had awful hip, back and neck pain

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I have an 05 Low Rider and love it. I will say the same on a Sporty being sportier. The Low Rider is a great bike, I plan on keeping this one. The lowness can be dangerous at times. I have hit a dip in the road and drove the bottom of the bike right into the asphalt. I didn't wreck or anything, just threw a bunch of debris on my riding buddy. I think the profile of the LR is one of the coolest out there and I really like the fact there are more people riding something else. Replace the stock seat with something else before you ride to avoid scuffing the paint on the fender too. In terms of goodies to put on the bike, I have a $20,000 + bike (bike cost plus chrome) with just chrome add ons, so there is plenty to buy. Softails do have more options for add ons, but IMO, most of it is crap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts