V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 FXD Super Glide with 19k. It has custom paint, forward controls, custom seat, pipes and Screaming Eagle air cleaner. I am looking to change over to a Road King as the wife now likes riding with me, taking overnight trips, etc and we need a bigger bike.

I have found the RK I like, and the dealer has offered me $8500 trade in. Should I take it, or do you think I can get considerably more elsewhere? Keep in mind the trade would save me around $750 in taxes, so do you think I can get more than $9250, or should I just trade?

Here is a pic of the bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased the same bike with the same mileage, not as clean in NorCal for $8500.00. If that helps you at all.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
From Kelly Blue book ..

February 8, 2006
2000 Harley-Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1450cc

Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $6790

Trade-in Value is what consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in unit assuming an accurate appraisal of condition. This value will likely be less than you would receive from a private party sale because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business. Trade-in values are based on clean units in good condition, with all original standard equipment. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I post a similar post about 2 weeks ago. It seem that Harley's are on a downward spiral. Bad buy new but very good buy used. I was thinking about selling my 2003 Anniversary FXDL but I would really take a beating. Oh well, easy come easy go.

Tim

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I think your Superglide is a lot nicer looking than the typical FXD. I'd guess you could get 10k for it in a private sale.

John

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
bdog1234 said:
Here is a pic of the bike

Damn, that's a good lookin' scooter. Seems a shame to let her go for $8500.

I think you should keep it and *and* get the Road King. :yes:

Your wife will understand, right? ;)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
They offered a good trade, I don't think you would be able to do better than 10K on a private sale.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
2000 with 19K, not much mileage. If everything is in good shape, I would advertise it for $12,500, and see what happens, so you drop the price a little when you have a looker. Lots of people starting to look now, and the way your bike looks, you will get some attention. H-D will "still" be selling new Road Kings all year long, and though the bug has you right now, you have plenty of time, IMHO.

Thorns

·
Registered
675 Posts
Don't trade, you will lose Big!

The dealer is going to turn around and sell that scoot for probably no less than 11K, maybe more than 12K. Why should he be the one to clean up? As was said prior, there will be new RKs for sale all year long! I would sell it myself, probably list your bike as it sits for $11.5 and see what happens. I have a 99 for sale, Stage I, Mikuni, Screaming Eagle pipes, bags, detachable windshield and sissy bar, Mustang solo and touring pad, 26K miles and tons of Harley chrome to boot, well over $6K in extras and mint, lace wheels and all. Even a year older with more miles, I think if I hold out I can get $11.5 to 12K for it in a private sale. Worse thing for both of us is that we can't get the financing deals the dealer can, but there are some still around that carry cash, and I think they know a good scoot when they see one. I see evolution lowriders go around here a lot for $9K and up, some as old as 94 models with comparable miles. The miles don't really hurt a Big Twin EVO or Twin Cam if they are kept up. The FXD is a Big Twin, not a sporty, and it will tend to hold it's value better because of that. It is not unusual to see a 2004 1200Custom sporty going for as little as 7500. Why? Because there are a jillion of them for sale due to people buying them brand new for 2-3K more than they were worth new, then a year or two later wanting to trade up. You will never see a shortage of them as the people getting into them buy them because of price and lot's of times really wanted a Big Twin. Hold out and get a fair price for yours and let the dealer make his money on the new one, I promise he will! But honestly if your itch really needs scratched with the RK, don't turn down a $10K offer, especially if it is a cash buyer that can pay you right on the spot! Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts