V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I have a 2001 FXD with V/H pipes (long). It sound s so much better with the baffels out,but Im told there is a great power loss by taking the baffels out. H/D jetted the carb (thunder jet) and its seems to run the same but I havent really rode the bike all that much yet due to weather here. Can I due damage to the engine by not having enough back pressure? thanks for any help,Davey

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Ed Y said:
You can always try the old time fix. Weld a washer on the end of a bolt, drill a hole in the pipe and install the bolt so the washer is right in the middle of the pipe.
I got this off of another post.

A guy I ride with does this on his old shovel, and REALLY likes it! Sounds good too!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
DAVEY35 said:
Hi,I have a 2001 FXD with V/H pipes (long). It sound s so much better with the baffels out,but Im told there is a great power loss by taking the baffels out. H/D jetted the carb (thunder jet) and its seems to run the same but I havent really rode the bike all that much yet due to weather here. Can I due damage to the engine by not having enough back pressure? thanks for any help,Davey
Lack of back pressure is not going to damage your engine. Lots of guys run straight pipes. When opening up the exhaust or changing the air filter the only thing you need to worry about is creating over lean condition. Running your bike too lean over a period of time can cause damage. I doubt taking out the baffles made much of a difference tho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts