V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '03 FXD Dyna Super Glide about two weeks. I've noticed that when riding, the forks are compressed about half their travel which is more compression than looks right. I pulled into my driveway (mild/moderate bump, then upslope) a couple of days ago and bottomed the forks. The driveway is a 90 degree turn so I didn't hit it hard. I'm not a huge guy (210#). My '92 FXRT, '03 1200S and all my old metric standards never did this. Are super soft forks the norm for a FXD or do my forks have a problem? I'm going to contact my dealer Tuesday, but thought y'all might have some insight. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fxd forks

forks on my 02 fxd were really weak just like you discribed and replaced the fork springs with some Progressive ones and it helped alot and there pretty inexpensive also , replaced stoch rear springs at the same time and made everything so much better
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

·
Rubber mounted Rider
194 Posts
Same experience

Used a 1999 FXD fork on my FXR and noticed exactly the same problem as you described, bottomed the fork every time I hitted the front break.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The cheep 1st thing to do is to change the frok oil. Heavy oil gives much more damping for bumps , makes it ride a little harder too. Its a shame you dish out 14 G's and have the change the frok springs...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

Kags, you have any idea which weight fork oil to try? Looks like various brands come in 5w, 7.5w, 10w, 20w and 30w. J&P sells PJ1 in only 10, 20, 30 weights. HD fork oil comes in grades B and E. SE fork oil comes in Heavy and Extra Heavy.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
H-D is 5, SE 10 Extra heavy 20 I believe. Depends on how hard you want that front end to feal. If I had a real problem Id go with exra heavy or 20.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kags said:
H-D is 5, SE 10 Extra heavy 20 I believe. Depends on how hard you want that front end to feal. If I had a real problem Id go with exra heavy or 20.
Thanks. I've got an appointment at a dealer Friday. The service manager says my description sounds like something is way wrong. I'll probably try 20W and they're going to pull the springs and measure them against factory specs. I'll post the results.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
trooper113 said:
I've had my '03 FXD Dyna Super Glide about two weeks. I've noticed that when riding, the forks are compressed about half their travel which is more compression than looks right. I pulled into my driveway (mild/moderate bump, then upslope) a couple of days ago and bottomed the forks. The driveway is a 90 degree turn so I didn't hit it hard. I'm not a huge guy (210#). My '92 FXRT, '03 1200S and all my old metric standards never did this. Are super soft forks the norm for a FXD or do my forks have a problem? I'm going to contact my dealer Tuesday, but thought y'all might have some insight. Thanks.
As promised, here is what was done to my forks: The dealer initially changed the fork oil to SE Heavy. That helped a lot with compression and rebound issues, but not the ride height. Yesterday, my dealer did my 1,000 mile checkup and, at the same time, installed 1/2" spacers in the forks while leaving the SE Heavy oil in the forks. Worked like a charm. Good ride height, good fork action and a decent ride. I definitely had to readjust my headlight. I'm very satisfied with it. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Im glad your happy but i have a few comments and pointers for ya,
I was told NEVER to use that heavy duty fork oil because it will eventually blow your fork seals; also why didnt you spend the 70-90 bucks for the progressive springs like the guy above suggested while everything was already taken apart? I swapped out my springs w/proggresive and it was a nite and day difference at minimal cost.

ALL harley suspensions SUCK BIG TIME (except for maybe sport models)
It should be the first mod people do, unfortunately many people never pay attention to these areas and miss out on huge gains in handling and performance.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't aware of a seal problem using SE Heavy oil........the dealer did all this under warranty and it seems to work fine. I had considered going to Progressive springs, but thought I'd give the dealer cure a shot first.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Although this may be an older post I felt the need to comment on the last item in case someone tens to use this information in the future. I have never heard not to go with the SE heavy oil. I have it in my 98 FXD never had a problem. Progressive recommends 15W fork oil with their fork springs. Any other comments on this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed progressive front springs on my 99 FXD and made my own blend of fork oil, using 2 parts SE heavy and 1 part type E. Mixed them together and poured it in. Works nicely, firm but not harsh, ride, good "feel" of the road with way less brake dive and bottoming. (also installed Progressive 412's on the rear) That's my contribution. Longshadow

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've never heard of thick fork oil blowing out seals. Seems like if it was thick enough to blow seals the ride would be bone-jarring. If you use any of the Harley/SE oils sold by the dealer it is bound to be safe to use.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never did change to Progressive springs. I've been running this same setup (1/2" spacers and SE Heavy fork oil) for over a year and remain entirely satisfied with the performance and.....no leaks.

T113

·
Registered
3 Posts
lowered front of wifes 03 by sliding tube up 7/8" noticed when i road it fender bumped volt reg. ill try the se oil to tighten it up it may never do it with her im little bigger thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
trooper don't change the springs as from 2000 on hd's came with a progressive spring I'm running race tech gold valves and 15w oil in mine have you tried preloading the springs with some alloy spacers, for my forks I tried 2.5" and finally 1.5" feels nice and firm

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure what the gold valves do, but the dealer changed my fork oil to SE Heavy (15w) and added 1/2" preload spacers all under warranty. This setup works well for my weight. Thanks.

T113

1 - 19 of 19 Posts