V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to decide if i should go w/ fwd. controls on my soon to be delivered fxdbi... [fairly new rider and im 5'-11 1/2" tall ] or should i stick w/ the mids until i get some "time" under my belt?

b.t.w... i plan on stepping up to 16" apes as well , so, thats also a factor
any and all opinions on this are greatly welcome

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Mids

metal-mike said:
trying to decide if i should go w/ fwd. controls on my soon to be delivered fxdbi... [fairly new rider and im 5'-11 1/2" tall ] or should i stick w/ the mids until i get some "time" under my belt?

b.t.w... i plan on stepping up to 16" apes as well , so, thats also a factor
any and all opinions on this are greatly welcome

Stay with the mids...better handling and few more reasons that will follow....:chopper:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the reply....i know about the whole"5-hour install" thing that kinda sux, but i just fig'd i might as well get it done while they have the bike IF i was gonna do it...
[also got the 95" kit,and some black-out stuff etc. so once it's delivered, they'll have it for a week or so]

i'm kinda leaning towards mids...and possibly some highway pegs[just pegs not bars]...for the open road.

whadda ya think?

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I'm short compared to metal-mike, and I have forward controls. And I like them. What I would stay away from is mid-mount controls with highway pegs. If I'm going to have my legs stretched out in front, I want controls to be nearby too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mad...you present a good point.. i dont like the idea of not having controls @ hand [or "foot" in this case] heh
do you think you'd like the fwds as much if you were on a slightly "bigger" bike? like a dyna or soft-tail? i just dont wanna be too stretched-out....i'm probably gonna be "reaching" a bit w/ the 16" apes as it is..although i'm most likely gonna wait a while for the apes...[until i'm ready to powder-coat my fork lowers and triple-trees ] sorta do the whole front-end stuff @ once.

anyway..i definately dont wanna have to "scramble" for the brake or to down-shift so thanks for bringing up a great point!
m.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I would suggest you beg borrow or steal a bike with forwards and ride it for at least half an hour. Preferably another Dyna.
I had them on my first bike and while they looked good I had quite a bit of tailbone pain after being in the saddle for only 30 minutes at a time. Tried two different seats too, but no help. If I hadn't gotten an offer to good to refuse I was going to put mid controls on it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have an 05 FXDi with mid controls and lowrider style highway pegs. What I like about them is that it gives me a chance to really stretch out my legs when cruising. I've gotten to the point where if my feet are on the highway pegs, and if I REALLY need to use the controls, I can be a lazy-ass and access the controls with my heels (rear brake and shifter)...I'm sure it's not the "proper" riding style, but it works for me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's whatever works for you.

For me, mid controls and highway pegs is the only way to go for me on my FXR. Easy to stretch out on the road, easy to get to the shifter and brake. Gives me lots of positions to move my legs around on long rides, mids let me get aggressive when I want to ride fast compared to fwds in deep turns, etc. and Mids allow me to easily lift off the seat when there are big potholes or expansion joints in the road.

·
Takin' the long way home!
113 Posts
I'm about your height (6' 0") and I put fwd cntls on my FXDL. I initially had the same concerns as you, so I kept the mids for a month or 2. I found I was constantly moving my feet to the highway pegs as I was cramped on the mids. I do miss being able to stand up over potholes and tracks, but honestly it hasn't been a problem. (On a Lowrider, sparks go a-flyin if you don't take your time over these anyway.) I'd go with the fwds. The only time I notice tailbone pain is if I've been riding crouched down for an extended period. If your doing this a lot, maybe the bars/seat could be a better fit. Sit tall in the saddle and you should be fine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, and I wouldn't dream of riding my FXSTS without the 16" apes and H-D forwards on it. It makes a world of difference, especially on long trips.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I ran on my mids for a couple of months when I owned an FXDLI. I liked the mids w/ the highway pegs, but I ended up going with forward controls.

I was using the highway pegs more and more often. I too didn't like not having any controls by my feet so I thought it was time to shift. I got the MoCo forward control kit. Took me about 45 minutes to put em on (not sure about the 5-hour install you were talking about). Kuryakyn also sells a forward control kit I believe Forward Controls for Dyna & FXR. You might want to check it out as a comparison. I had no problems w/ MoCo's parts, but KY seems to be a bit beefier and looks a heckuva lot better IMHO.

Before you make a decision though, ride that bike some....an educated decision is better then a guess. Of course I have no excuse for my own stupidity. That's a conversation for another time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts