V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some articles here in the UK about the dwindling oil resources got me wondering.

At some point, perhaps sooner than we realise, petrol will be the fuel of the wealthy, most cars will be either bio diesel or electric or a mixture of both.

What of substitutes for petrol fuel to keep my V twin on the road, perhaps alcohol based fuels could be used? Are these viable and could an EFI system run on such fuels.

:(

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Vegetable oil can be refined into gas/diesel so my guess is that would be the direction we're gonna head in...besides you could chosse to smell like a french fry or drumstick...:blink:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I really want to see 100% corn based fuel become a reality.
Then we can tell those dwelling in deserts who have been bending us over for so long to, pardon the pun, pack sand and oh, by the way, grow your own damn food, because we're burning ours.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well GM is already making several cars that run on E85 (85% ethonal 15% Gas) and they are all EFI. They run on 100% gas also. So yes, bikes can be adapted to run on it also.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Then we can tell those dwelling in deserts who have been bending us over for so long to, pardon the pun, pack sand and oh, by the way, grow your own damn food, because we're burning ours.

:clap: @gree:

·
Registered
33 Posts
MegaGlide said:
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!! The part about the sand dwellers anyway!!!!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The real drawback to E85 is fuel economy. You need to burn almost two thirds more per mile than gas alone. I could see harley turning the saddle bags into fuel tanks.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
100% Ethanol for the entire population of the US to burn in their cars is so much wishful thinking it is ludricrous. Not only is it unrealistic, it won't happen. Ethanol can (supposedly but still not proven) be made from not only corn but the stalk itself so says the people that are pushing it like crazy. PROVE IT!! I am not saying you can not run it, just not everyone will be able to on a daily basis. It is also not as efficient. If 10 gallons of gas got you 10 miles, Ethanol would only get you 8 because it is 20% less efficient as gasoline. That is why they are mixing it now at 85% Ethanol to 15% gas. It is also more expensive than gasoline is at its current rate. Now someone will try to argue on this comment, but I will go ahead and prove it. The only reason Ethanol is cheaper is due to subsidies from the Government to producers that helps lower the cost. How long you think those subsidies will last once more people are trying to use it??? The subsidies will go away and the prices will be ever rising. Also, it will take more land than we have available to grow all the corn needed to produce the millions of gallons of ethanol needed on a daily basis. That means we will once again be dependent on someone other than ourselves to grow the needed corn for ethanol production. Ethanol is not a replacement. It is only a bandade that is over a festered wound. The same goes for Bio-diesel.

We have plenty of oil to burn and we should burn it. When I say we I mean the US has Billions of barrels in Alaska, off the coasts of Florida and California, etc., and we have millions of barrels in shell. To utilize the oil we have we need to first build new refineries. The more refineries we have the more oil that can be processed. The more processed out on the market means lower cost for the consumer as it should be. We also need to immediately get rid of the different blends of oil that we do for specific areas. There should only be 93 or higher octane. I say make it 100 and be done with it. Pick one and make it. Don't have summer and winter gasoline either. Winter gas will be just fine for year around burning.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,855 Posts
I've sometimes wondered if our use of foreign oil is, at least in part, a strategic tool. The longer we can afford to burn theirs, the longer ours will last. I'm not too sure of politicians, but I can certainly see the military thinking that way.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
any new fuels that are made is going to turn into a big money scam. ( it was to cold this year,so the price will go up ) anything for big money.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
Soapbox time

A few tidbits on ethonal fuels.
GM and Ford started making cars in South America in the 50's that ran on ethonal (made from various plants native there). Argentina and Brazil had large populations that were growing after WWII. There was not a lot of petroleum
infrastructure there so most cars were fueled by alcohol.
Ford and GM found that the zinc carbs and tin in the fuel
systems were corroded by the alcohol and had to nickel plate a lot of stuff.
In Brazil today you have your choice of disel, gas, or alcohol. Make the choice when you buy your car.
(prices are about the same for all three fuels)
We could generate alcohol here for fuel, offer alcohol engine set ups on cars, and give the motoring public a choice of what they want for fuel.
By using biofuel (alcohol) for 20 - 30% of our fuel needs
we could tell the Mid East to go eat sand and drink their
oil.
GM and Ford have had the know how for years, they just
don't want to change over because Big Oil is in with the
Gov't and they want to keep getting filthy rich.
(oh, and they can't decide on how to denature our fuel so
we won't drink it at pit stops)

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Even if we lower our dependence on foriegn oil, there are plenty of people ready to use it. China for example.

Does Ethonol burn cleaner then Dino? Too lazy to google it. :bleh:

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The post was intended more as a question of what the options will be for the motorcycle.

I'm 32, it is completely possible that in my lifetime I will see the end of affordable petrol (gas) at the pump.

Cars have alternatives, bio or electric, its also very probable that the oil companies already have the next gen fuel cells developed and under wraps to maintain current profits now and provide profits in the future.

To say you in the US will be OK because of domestic stocks is a little naive, with the current growth of vehicle use and your low MPG vehicles how long will it realistically last, let alone oil for heating and plastics. Then consider the cost of oil on the international market, would a multinational hold onto $300 a barrel oil just for US use when there are offers of $500 dollars on the table.

With the Bush administration you are left with a legacy of Big Oil in the White House, short term big money over long term stability, guess who won?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.