V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this a on going thing here,just want to run my ideas past some of you super smart engine guys:bowdwn:

I have and 04 Deuce DUH:yikes:
RB Racing LSR2-1 exhaust
S/E A/C
Stage1 etc
SERT 4.50 vers.

My ideas are as follows
95" Big Bore either S/E flat tops pistons or something along those lines
Headwork will be done by Big Boyz(Street Porting)
Cams????? This is why im asking.
Not into the numbers thing,but i think 90/100 is not unreasonable.
Would like to keep comp around 9.5-1
Thoughts on which gaskets to use


Dont want to get into high stress cams,really want the bike to be reliable.

Riding style - Mainly back and rural roads,dont do too much highway riding.
2 up 50% of the time,bike is occasionally loaded down but it does not exceed 75LBS.

Like too jump on it occasionally.

Thanks :xhere:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
deuce04 said:
My ideas are as follows
95" Big Bore either S/E flat tops pistons or something along those lines
Headwork will be done by Big Boyz(Street Porting)
Cams????? This is why im asking.
Not into the numbers thing,but i think 90/100 is not unreasonable.
Would like to keep comp around 9.5-1
Thoughts on which gaskets to use

Dont want to get into high stress cams,really want the bike to be reliable.

Riding style - Mainly back and rural roads,dont do too much highway riding.
2 up 50% of the time,bike is occasionally loaded down but it does not exceed 75LBS.

Like too jump on it occasionally.
Sounds rather familiar...

My build: (02 Deuce)
95ci / S&S SuperStock heads / 9.25 to 1 KB pistons / Cometic .030 gaskets
S&S gear-drive 570 cams
Feuling lifters and oil pump
Daytona TT Ignition

With the 9.25 to 1 pistons combined with the .030 Cometic gaskets you get that 9.5 compression range you are looking for. I almost never ride 2-up and want my power in the mid-range so the 570 cam gives me gobs of power from 3000 - 5500rpm. (The final dyno numbers are 91hp and 103tq so you are right-on there in your thinking as well.) However, you ride 2-up a lot so the 37G cam would be better for you and the lift isn't as high either.

You'll get lots of opinions here (as always) but your question matched pretty closely to what I was looking for - and what I got.

My -2$en#e-
Cheers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more thing,i dont know if i will have enough cash to do the gear drive.
So i am leaning towards staying with the chain drive for now:dry: :spank:
I have read all the pro's about the gear drives,just wish the bank account was larger right now:unsure:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,741 Posts
Deuce,
I'd be really tempted to consider the possibilities with the Pro-Street high flow heads, Andrews 67g with compression set up towards 10.5:1, a nice set of forged rollers, Dakota Kid reworked Delphi TB/intake, Basiley spring and a really good dyno tune. Oh! and don't forget to beef-up the clutch. This combination could change your riding style forever. ~!Awesome!

Okay! Okay! so maybe that isn't in the checking account but geeeeez, that is a wicked combination.

I also like Fire4Effect's cam choice and the Wood TW-5g or 6g.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totenkopf said:
Deuce,
I'd be really tempted to consider the possibilities with the Pro-Street high flow heads, Andrews 67g with compression set up towards 10.5:1, a nice set of forged rollers, Dakota Kid reworked Delphi TB/intake, Basiley spring and a really good dyno tune. Oh! and don't forget to beef-up the clutch. This combination could change your riding style forever. ~!Awesome!

Okay! Okay! so maybe that isn't in the checking account but geeeeez, that is a wicked combination.

I also like Fire4Effect's cam choice and the Wood TW-5g or 6g.
Dude you are the best+SMSH+
At draining my bank account:laugh:

But Thanks for your reply...I thought you were smarter then that:finger: :laugh: :wootdnc:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,741 Posts
deuce04 said:
Dude you are the best+SMSH+
At draining my bank account:laugh:

But Thanks for your reply...I thought you were smarter then that:finger: :laugh: :wootdnc:
Yeah, I'm good at spending money.... especially other people's! :bleh:

Okay, so what is the budget??? and who is going to do the work??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Totenkopf said:
Yeah, I'm good at spending money.... especially other people's! :bleh:

Okay, so what is the budget??? and who is going to do the work??
I will be doing the work.
The budget hmmmm...as little as possible.:D
Just picked up a set of take off heads on ebay.
Probably will buy new cylinders and of course the cams and gaskets.
I have a bid on a set of cylinders if i get them cheap enough i will send them out to be bored and pistons fit to them.
I have the Baisley spring installed already so that should cover any oil pressure issues

Worked on many engines so that part doesnt bother me.

Thanks for your help:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Toyman said:
Go with the Andrews 37 in chain drive with .030 cometic Hg's, you will like it!

Thanks Toyman i was thinking the same way{salute(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,741 Posts
deuce04 said:
I will be doing the work.
The budget hmmmm...as little as possible.:D
Just picked up a set of take off heads on ebay.
Probably will buy new cylinders and of course the cams and gaskets.
I have a bid on a set of cylinders if i get them cheap enough i will send them out to be bored and pistons fit to them.
I have the Baisley spring installed already so that should cover any oil pressure issues

Worked on many engines so that part doesnt bother me.

Thanks for your help:thumbsup:
Do you have access to a good dyno? that's going to be the key.

As you can see in my sig, I'm running the 37g. I think it is just a touch early on the intake timing now since they changed the grind a few years ago and I wasn't satisfied with it nosing over on the top end, so I did some things to prop it up. Seems to have worked without losing the bottom end. Currently it's partially tuned making the numbers you desire. We expect the final numbers will be in the range of 102-104 lbs and 97-99hp.

The other thing I should have probably done is go with the next size larger valves and a little more aggressive port job but hey! it's darn close to where I wanted it and this is with stock valve sizes.

I am impressed with the latest changes being even less noisy in the valve train. I do like the gear driven cam a lot! But hey! only you can decide what you are willing to spring for. The 37 wakes up nicely with head work and a compression bump. 10:1 is about it with the intake closing at 36*, at 9.5 you will not be getting everything out of the 37 but it is certainly safe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totenkopf said:
Do you have access to a good dyno? that's going to be the key.

As you can see in my sig, I'm running the 37g. I think it is just a touch early on the intake timing now since they changed the grind a few years ago and I wasn't satisfied with it nosing over on the top end, so I did some things to prop it up. Seems to have worked without losing the bottom end. Currently it's partially tuned making the numbers you desire. We expect the final numbers will be in the range of 102-104 lbs and 97-99hp.

The other thing I should have probably done is go with the next size larger valves and a little more aggressive port job but hey! it's darn close to where I wanted it and this is with stock valve sizes.

I am impressed with the latest changes being even less noisy in the valve train. I do like the gear driven cam a lot! But hey! only you can decide what you are willing to spring for. The 37 wakes up nicely with head work and a compression bump. 10:1 is about it with the intake closing at 36*, at 9.5 you will not be getting everything out of the 37 but it is certainly safe.

I have access tp a dyno but the people who run it are questionable.:confused:
I am currently looking for someone local
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One last question.
Which head gasket should I use?
I dont want to have trouble with hot starts due to much comp:flames:

Thanks again:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Fire4Effect are you using the KB 348 pistons? I dont know if they are the 9.25 or not? It doesnt say for sure on the sylvolite web sight so just asking?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
338 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
roadglide05 said:
Fire4Effect are you using the KB 348 pistons? I dont know if they are the 9.25 or not? It doesnt say for sure on the sylvolite web sight so just asking?
Yes. Here is a link to them in the Custom Chrome catalog too:
Ultimately the actual compression ratio of your build is affected by your chamber size (heads), the deck height, the piston shape and volume, and the thickness of the gaskets you use. They do have that cool little calculator on the KB site which will get you in the ball park but you have to know the combustion "chamber size" to accurately use it. With my S&S heads, for instance, I have a chamber size of 79cc so my final compression ratio with those pistons is somewhere between 9.5 and 10 to 1.
KB has those flat-tops and a set of domed pistons for a 95" build. The domed set will, of course, increase your compression somewhere between 10 up to 11 to one depending on the aforementioned other variables.

Cheers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
deuce04 said:
I know this a on going thing here,just want to run my ideas past some of you super smart engine guys:bowdwn:

I have and 04 Deuce DUH:yikes:
RB Racing LSR2-1 exhaust
S/E A/C
Stage1 etc
SERT 4.50 vers.

My ideas are as follows
95" Big Bore either S/E flat tops pistons or something along those lines
Headwork will be done by Big Boyz(Street Porting)
Cams????? This is why im asking.
Not into the numbers thing,but i think 90/100 is not unreasonable.
Would like to keep comp around 9.5-1
Thoughts on which gaskets to use


Dont want to get into high stress cams,really want the bike to be reliable.

Riding style - Mainly back and rural roads,dont do too much highway riding.
2 up 50% of the time,bike is occasionally loaded down but it does not exceed 75LBS.

Like too jump on it occasionally.

Thanks :xhere:

OK plans have changed a little.
I have a line on a set of S/E heads part# 16952-99c

Would this still work ok with all the parts i have listed for my build?:huh:
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
deuce04, I had Johnson Engine Technology in Rhode Island do a 95" for me. He is good on the dyno and the bike runs super. I see you are also in Ct. so he's not that far away. He has a pretty informative website...just another option.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the website bookmarked. Thanks I appreciate it:cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
deuce04 said:
OK plans have changed a little.
I have a line on a set of S/E heads part# 16952-99c

Would this still work ok with all the parts i have listed for my build?:huh:
Thanks

Would anyone out there know anything about these heads:bowdwn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
The SE performance heads work fine. In a 95" with .030" gaskets, decent pipes and tuning, typically you would be looking at something like 95/105 with the 570G and about 98/98 to 100/100 with the WT2G.

I might be tempted to try the WT26G, but have not yet done so. One would think that it would put you slightly at over 100/100 because it is the same cam as the 2G with higher lift.

Others might tell you what a Woods 5 would do.

Don't under cam it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top