V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put about 200 miles on my '06 Ultra today and as I was enjoying the first warm day in months without rain/snow, it hit me -- this bike is really ok.

For the past six months I have read all kinds of horror stories about how screwed up the '06 bikes are: bad injectors, bad motor mounts, poor brakes, poor mileage, high oil use, EPA garbage, this, that, the other..... all kinds of stuff. It is enought to make ya puke.

I now have about 2,300 miles on this bike and have yet to find anything to complain about (other than the snow and ice that has kept me from riding it).

By the way, now that it has a few miles - it runs great, rides smoothly, stops just fine, gets about the same mileage as the prior 5 HDs that I've owned and loved, don't use oil, and the EPA crap don't seem to be hurting a thing.

Is there anyone out there that is happy with their '06 besides me?

?prty:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes I really like my 06. Cats,Stock Pipes and every EPA nut and bolt. It runs great stock,and the only thing I may ever change is the chain driven cams for gears. I learned years ago that if you keep your fingers out of things that ain't broke you will get better service out of it. If I was look'n for a hot rod I wouldn't have bought a HD in the first place. Now a little chrome never hurt anybody though.:Banadance :cheers:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love my 06 Road King and couldn't be happier. The dealer has been great so far. My bike was built in Oct and when I asked about the new injectors I was told the 25 deg are on the shelf with your name on them. I haven't even indicated there was a problem. I do have a question though. I was riding a softtail and the vibration of the King is completely different at low speeds. It really smooths out once you gain some RPM's. What is the issue with the motor mounts and does any one know what build months had the problem. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
AISTQM said:
I love my 06 Road King and couldn't be happier. The dealer has been great so far. My bike was built in Oct and when I asked about the new injectors I was told the 25 deg are on the shelf with your name on them. I haven't even indicated there was a problem. I do have a question though. I was riding a softtail and the vibration of the King is completely different at low speeds. It really smooths out once you gain some RPM's. What is the issue with the motor mounts and does any one know what build months had the problem. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob
(My apologies if you already know all of this)
There are two versions of the twin cam motor designated A and B. The B motors have a counter balance system to smooth it out for use in the softail models. The A motor don't have that system and are used in the touring models. They redesigned the motor mount but I don't remember the specifics. It has been discussed here before, do a search and you will turn up the info you are looking for.

·
He lives........
767 Posts
I have a 2006 Ultra, and have nothing but good things to say about it so far............(knock on chrome)

:thumbsup:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
I love my beauty. I think most of the horror stories come from guys who love to tinker. Rarely do I hear of guys who just ride their bikes and let the professionals do the work having problems.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I dig my '06 RG and it is almost completely stock. ;) I say if you are happy with the off the shelf bikes as delivered by HD great then just ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No 06 Blues Here

You can't wipe the sh!t eating grin off my face every time I ride my lightly modified 06 RK. Been to Daytona and back(from B'ham,AL) and it was just awesome. 3600 miles since Sept 05 with no problems what so ever. I work for a living so I'm not a rich man but when I ride my RK I feel like king of the world.
I guess I should change my picture in my profile.
Ben

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just went over 12,000 miles total today. Ultra was delivered Oct. 5 05 and it only gets better. I do all my own mx and I think it is a good thing for me. not good if you dont know jack about wrenching.:cheers:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all that responded to my question.

Glad to hear there are other happy owners:clap:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm loving my 06 Road King, every year you'll get some yahoo's saying stuff about the new model year, but this thing feels just like my last Road King. Once the motor loosens up a bit she'll be just fine. I have not noticed any MPG diffrence either

·
Registered
433 Posts
@gree: Here, here. I agree that the stock Harleys are great. I don't have an '06, but I have an '05 FLHRCI with 23,000 miles. Stock as a rock, and it runs and rides like a dream. I think the motor's just now broken in. Starts instantaneously, runs good through the whole rpm band from bottom end to wind out. Mufflers ain't loud and sound a little cheesy, but I haven't had to do anything but service and put gas in bike. I may look at some new deeper sounding, but not louder, mufflers if and when these die. Leaving with the wife in the morning for a 1,500 mile trip to San Diego and back, dodging rain the whole way and loving every minute of it.

:woohoo:

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
06 EG Standard bought late August of 05 and I just passed 7700 miles with absolutely NO troubles. Zero oil consumption. Unending grins.
Riding with friends,
Geoff of WA

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brittfan said:
My '96 runs just great. OOPS, wrong thread:wacko:
This is the correct thread and thanks for the input. My wife and I have had '90, '91, '96, '99, '00, & '06 HD bikes and they all have all been great bikes.
:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
2,600+ miles on my '06 Ultra since January. Ony two problems, enough time to ride more, and that hail storm I went through hurt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts