V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm riding on the Deuce...heading to a motorcycle safety class so I can ride my bike on base (I'm in the Navy)....going 70ish when the old DOT half helmet needs a little adjusting.....I start sliding the strap closer to my throat when WHOSH!!!!!!!!!! Suddenly I'm cuising Ohio style! Wind blowing through my hair..WOW what a feeling!! I get the HOG pulled over and walk prolly 1/2 mile or so looking for the helmet along the road...nothing....I end up riding home and getting my buddies full face....end up at the safety class about 15 min late and had to tell the safety school instructors how I lost my helmet on the way in......I still can't belive it......oh well **** happens!

350Z (350 sb chevy Z-28...fyi)

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
I lost my helemet like that once, but it was because my dumb ass forgot to snap the chin strap. I

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...yeah I'm just glad there was nobody behind me...I think that helmet could have caused some problems if it hit a car....

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Few of us trudging through New Hampshire when Norman disappears. Turn around to find him a few miles back looking for his helmet. Was'nt strapped to the sissybar good enough and it flew off. Driver behind him pulled aside to inform him. We found it in the breakdown lane.

One of at least a dozen funny and memorable stories from that ride! :Dennis

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Mine has flown off also. The old strap ripped into. I stopped, turned around and went back and got it. I had some old saftey pins in my sissy bar bag, pinned it up and rode away.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
jockeyshift said:
Mine has flown off also. The old strap ripped into. I stopped, turned around and went back and got it. I had some old saftey pins in my sissy bar bag, pinned it up and rode away.
Saw your bike at the Shelton Show the other weekend, Lookin Good :D That MagnaCharger looks sick in person

·
EVOs are cool
141 Posts
Bad design?

350Z said:
I start sliding the strap closer to my throat when WHOSH!!!!!!!!!! Suddenly I'm cuising Ohio style! Wind blowing through my hair..WOW what a feeling!!
IMO, if the chin strap was fastened it should not fly off your head. Sounds like bad design? If so, I think that's a problem.

Helmet use is controversial, and I'm not telling anyone how to live their lives. But if they're going to bother to make helmets, and if people are going to wear them, they should stay on your head and offer some protection. Sort of defeats the purpose if it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Helmets?? I don't use no stinkin' helmet !!

I agree with JazNine, if it is strapped, no way should it come off!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This half helmet was made by DOT and didn't use a regular strap. It used a seat belt type buckle...so to get the helmet off you push the button and with a slight twist the chin strap comes off...might have hit the button with out meaning too......oh well I like my new helmet WAYYYY better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts