V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...so I bought a new 06 XL1200c from one of the dealers here in Louisville, KY. There are only two nice people in this entire place and they are both sales guys. The service guys and parts people are just plain not nice.

I was on my way out the door for a ride around town when they call me and tell me that my license plates came in and they were ready for pick up. I stopped by since the shop is only about 5 miles from my house. Got the plates from the parts counter and asked if I could borrow a couple tools to put the plate on my bike before getting on the road. (I don't have saddlebags or anything on this bike yet). Guy at the parts counter told me that they didn't have any tools and that I should go see one of the sales guys. So I went to the guy I bought my bike from and he said that they also didn't have any tools. Told me to pull my bike around to service and they would either put the plate on for me real quick or they would lend me the tool to do it.

So I pull around to the service center and the guy tells me that they didn't have time and they don't lend tools out. Ended up having to just tuck the plates in my jacket for the ride.

So now...I'm in the market for a new bike for my wife. Either a Street bob or a superglide. I think I'm going to drive up to Indy...these guys don't deserve my business.

On a good note I was about to buy some gear on another day and the sales guy pulled me aside and told me that they were having a sale the first weekend of December and I should wait unless it was something I needed right then.

·
1,336 Posts
Unbelivable. You should put that story in an email and send it to the general manger of that dealer. The guy could have put it on for you in the amount of time it took him to say he did not have the time. Good Service is hard to find.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Give Todd a call at Wabash Valley H-D in Terre Haute, IN.
812-232-7821
Tell him I sent ya'.
And you can oogle April the parts goddess while you're there... :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
bad dealer

you should also email moco customer service. You spent $$ to get a bike and they cant even put a damned plate on for you? I would not even buy a soda in that dealership. If it is the one right off the interstate I stopped there on the way down to florida and was NOT impressed. ah well let the moco know about that.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Call Corporate Harley, speak to a warranty rep and tell them what happened to you. The Moco DOES care about stuff like this. They will be all over that dealer's ass if they hear about this. Please call them, because it's the only way we are ever going to get dealers to change.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Wow, thats amazinng. After you give a dealer your money is when you find out how they really are. I think your right to go somewhere else to buy your next bike, but I would go back and let them know that you are and why. I don't know if you want to go this far but in Ohio at Ben Breece they always sell at msrp, have free freight and set up. Great people and wouldn't of had a problem like that there. Ben Breece HD 419-523-4274

good luck and enjoy the new sportster. great ride you have.

·
Registered
98 Posts
"April the parts goddess" ...............:rolleyes: O' yea give Todd a call or better yet just go up to TH and see "April the parts goddess " I mean Todd.

The best part is that Arpil really knows what she is doing.

:laugh: Spuds

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
See my thread regarding Indy dealers

I bought my FLSTSCI at Mann's, just north of Columbus Indiana, I 65 at the Edinburgh exit.

Some of the nicest folks I've ever met, from sales (be sure to see Rich Harding) to the parts folks, to the service dept. I have not ONE complaint about this dealership.

Megaglide mentioned Wabash Valley in Terre Haute... another good place to visit.

Save yourself some gas... drive up to Mann's and check 'em out! Only about an hour from the Kennedy bridge, I think

Good luck.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
JamieWG said:
Call Corporate Harley, speak to a warranty rep and tell them what happened to you. The Moco DOES care about stuff like this. They will be all over that dealer's ass if they hear about this. Please call them, because it's the only way we are ever going to get dealers to change.
You sure they care about this?

The MoCo didn't seem to give a rat's behind when $tealer$hip$ were charging $4K-$5K over MSRP a few years back. In fact, their corporate response was "Each dealership is individually owned and H-D had no authority to tell them what to charge."

If I was him, I would contact the MoCo, report this(but not expect any resolution) and let the dealer where this happened know that I would not be spending any more money in the shop(not that they care).

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
Unome said:
The MoCo didn't seem to give a rat's behind when $tealer$hip$ were charging $4K-$5K over MSRP a few years back. In fact, their corporate response was "Each dealership is individually owned and H-D had no authority to tell them what to charge."
Unfortunately I think this is true. Don't look for the MoCo to ride herd over any dealer.

Unome said:
If I was him, I would contact the MoCo, report this(but not expect any resolution) and let the dealer where this happened know that I would not be spending any more money in the shop(not that they care).
Sometimes I think it would be worth a research project to look into why so many of us love the bikes when crummy dealer practices are pretty much normal. Think how many more HD's could be sold by a national network of considerate, knowledgable, friendly, helpful dealers?

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Unome said:
You sure they care about this?

All I know is that my local dealer seems to be a different place lately. I went in there and asked about the guy who sold me my bike, the response was "He's no longer with us", I asked what happened and was told that Corporate HD had received complaints, so he had to be let go. I don't know what else went on, but the people working there seemed to be real friendly and eager to help out with anything customers needed. They made a comment that the dealership does not want to hear from the Corporate office. So it does appear that if a dealer is doing something that can cost Corp money, then they care about it. Losing a customer costs them money. Charging over MSRP does not.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would go back to the dealership and tell them that you are going to buy a bike for the wife.
Take your time, pick the bike out and get their best offer.
Tell the salesman to write up the papers.
Pick up the pen and get ready to sign, then tell the guy that if they wernt such Pr*cks, you would have bought the bike from them.:2flips:
Walk out the door.

Serves em right.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm planning on calling HD corporate and atleast tell them what happened and what I think about their dealers so far.

I've pretty much decided to go to OH or IN to buy my wife's bike. When I was looking for my sportster the dealership here in Louisville over on Aurthur street didn't want my business. I had one of their sales guys actually tell me that he didn't care if I bought a bike or not...they don't order bikes and said that they would sell the same amount of bikes if I bought one or not.

I went back to the Aurthur street dealership yesterday...the same sales guy came up to me and asked if I'd decided on a bike yet...I told him "Yep...bought it from another dealer". He looked alittle pissed off but actually was much nicer this time after I told him I was looking for a Dyna for my wife.

Not a good start as a new Harley owner. I love the bike and wouldn't trade it for any other...I just don't want to give the dealers here in this town any more of my money.

Going out of state to buy the next bike just gives me an excuse to ride my bike a few more miles.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
dealership here in Louisville over on Aurthur.......must be louisville HD. i had an issue with them as well, but after getting a little on the loud side every one had been very pleasant. osunds as if you bought your scoot from bluegrass. i was there for the first time for that big ass poker run they had a couple of weeks ago. there were too many ppl there to really do any shoping or talking to parts guys, but i'll be back.
josh

·
Registered
42 Posts
KY23 said:
I'm planning on calling HD corporate and atleast tell them what happened and what I think about their dealers so far.

I've pretty much decided to go to OH or IN to buy my wife's bike. When I was looking for my sportster the dealership here in Louisville over on Aurthur street didn't want my business. I had one of their sales guys actually tell me that he didn't care if I bought a bike or not...they don't order bikes and said that they would sell the same amount of bikes if I bought one or not.

I went back to the Aurthur street dealership yesterday...the same sales guy came up to me and asked if I'd decided on a bike yet...I told him "Yep...bought it from another dealer". He looked alittle pissed off but actually was much nicer this time after I told him I was looking for a Dyna for my wife.

Not a good start as a new Harley owner. I love the bike and wouldn't trade it for any other...I just don't want to give the dealers here in this town any more of my money.

Going out of state to buy the next bike just gives me an excuse to ride my bike a few more miles.

The HD Dealership on Arthur St is the worst I have ever dealt with and I have dealt with many from New York (Long Island) to Florida. I went in looking for a new bike and all the bikes on the floor had excessive amounts of accessories added to inflate the sales price. When I told the sales person I was looking for a stock bike with all the accessories added on, I was told, "This is how we sell our bikes. If you dont want it get out." I said I am not paying you for Sh*t I dont want. I walked out and never went back. This happened when I was living outside Louisville a while back. Good luck with your purchase.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
well i just got my bike back from bluegrass HD for a little service ( see... http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=65272&highlight=cracked+cylinder ) and they were great. i mean absolutly outstanding. paul the service manager even had the tech wash my bike. now talk about totaly different treatment by going across town.
josh

BTW it wasn't cracked....it was some road tar that had melted on the cylinder, and looked like an oil leak.

·
FOG
82 Posts
Vettster said:
I would go back to the dealership and tell them that you are going to buy a bike for the wife.
Take your time, pick the bike out and get their best offer.
Tell the salesman to write up the papers.
Pick up the pen and get ready to sign, then tell the guy that if they wernt such Pr*cks, you would have bought the bike from them.:2flips:
Walk out the door.

Serves em right.

Ride Safe,
Vettster
Vettster,
He said the only nice guys in the place were the salesguys. Why would you want to waste their time? Just go in and show the bike you bought elsewhere to them and let them know why. Wasting their time is totally inconsiderate of their time and yours. You may need their help someday.

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
Bud's Harley-Davidson in Evansville, IN is only two hours west of you there in Louisville. They have a LOT of new bikes on the floor and are an MSRP dealer. Ask for Randy in sales, he will treat you right. I think you'll find everyone there is friendly and helpful. http://www.buds-harley.com/

-2$en#e-

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
here's a funny story.....

.....about those loonies at bluegrass Harley....

I lost power on I-64 in the left hand lane - luckily sputtered it into neutral 'fore she cut out. So i get hauled an hour and a half to louisville (called ahead) and the service manager had them primed and ready to work on the scooter (got there about 5:15 or so, they close at 7).

A plug was fouled something awful (I had intermittent luck restarting her a couple of tmies before giving up and waiting on the tow)....and..... I am somewhat younger and have short hair. basically, the guy starts talking to me like I am an idiot. Asks me if I accidentally used diesel fuel not once, not twice.....SIX times! No dude, I used Sunoco 94 octane when going thru hoosier nat'l forest. 6 times, I have to tell him, and finally say "why don't you sample the gas in the tank if you do not believe me" in a nice, calm voice.

He goes on to tell me it might be a couple of weeks before they can get to it due to the "aftermarket work" done at the dealer where i got it....i tell him all i had done were screaming eagle pipes and the Harley Stage II 95" kit, and it's covered under warranty, and he better pull his head out and get serious....aftermarket parts?!?

That goes over like a lead balloon, and while he is staring straight ahead at his computer screen, we hear my bike start up - pushrod had come loose and cylinder had lost compression, bad job by my dealer assembling but it's good to go. He charges me $55 for what should be warranty work and I am out the door. have to pay it b/c bike is locked outside and gotta pay to leave.

So I get-

Idiot questions
bad warranty advice
overcharged

all for some service during their regular hours. What a thrill!

I thought Harley was a value in part because of the strong support of a large dealer network. Instead, we get some of these semi-retarded Columbo imitators trying to talk us into saying we did something stupid. Believe me, if that punk had not had my scooter in his shop I would have intived him outside for a sandwich.

They also did not fix the chip in my tire left by the towing rig - but i made it back to Cincinnati A-OK. Thankful they could work on it (but let's face it, they tell you it's part of the sales price of the bike) but not looking to go back there on purpose!

:spank:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
drdevon said:
.....about those loonies at bluegrass Harley....

I lost power on I-64 in the left hand lane - luckily sputtered it into neutral 'fore she cut out. So i get hauled an hour and a half to louisville (called ahead) and the service manager had them primed and ready to work on the scooter (got there about 5:15 or so, they close at 7).

A plug was fouled something awful (I had intermittent luck restarting her a couple of tmies before giving up and waiting on the tow)....and..... I am somewhat younger and have short hair. basically, the guy starts talking to me like I am an idiot. Asks me if I accidentally used diesel fuel not once, not twice.....SIX times! No dude, I used Sunoco 94 octane when going thru hoosier nat'l forest. 6 times, I have to tell him, and finally say "why don't you sample the gas in the tank if you do not believe me" in a nice, calm voice.

He goes on to tell me it might be a couple of weeks before they can get to it due to the "aftermarket work" done at the dealer where i got it....i tell him all i had done were screaming eagle pipes and the Harley Stage II 95" kit, and it's covered under warranty, and he better pull his head out and get serious....aftermarket parts?!?

That goes over like a lead balloon, and while he is staring straight ahead at his computer screen, we hear my bike start up - pushrod had come loose and cylinder had lost compression, bad job by my dealer assembling but it's good to go. He charges me $55 for what should be warranty work and I am out the door. have to pay it b/c bike is locked outside and gotta pay to leave.

So I get-

Idiot questions
bad warranty advice
overcharged

all for some service during their regular hours. What a thrill!

I thought Harley was a value in part because of the strong support of a large dealer network. Instead, we get some of these semi-retarded Columbo imitators trying to talk us into saying we did something stupid. Believe me, if that punk had not had my scooter in his shop I would have intived him outside for a sandwich.

They also did not fix the chip in my tire left by the towing rig - but i made it back to Cincinnati A-OK. Thankful they could work on it (but let's face it, they tell you it's part of the sales price of the bike) but not looking to go back there on purpose!

:spank:
If you still have the receipt or remember the date, that would be one to call the Mother Ship about.
They're supposed to drop everything and get anyone travelling back on the road.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts