V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new Camper/Trailer. They're called sport-utility trailers (SUTs), toy boxes, garage units. They are campers which you can carry your bike, snowmobile, etc ......

I'm not sure if i want the trailer version or the "fun mover" RV version. Do I want to pull or get the self contained unit. Adding the engine, etc to the RV motorhome unit jumps significantly in price.

Anyone have opinions please speak up as the trailer/camper show begin this weekend in Indy.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I had one of the trailers and personally found for me to not to be worth it. I only used it twice a year. Always needed a truck with a good tow rating and then there is the cost. For what you spend you can get a pretty nice hotel room for many trips. Give it some good thought as to how much you will use it. Can you really afford it ??? If I was retired taking long trips I might think otherwise. Have you ever owned a trailer/motor home ??? There is maintenence to consider also. Good luck

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
I recommend looking for a local place to rent. Try them both and see how they work for you! If you aren't going to use it often, it may even make sense to always rent one!

Or...another idea...use the money you were going to spend on the toybox to hire a driver! The driver drives your truck to where you're going, and you get to ride your bike there!!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I've looked at the WEB sites for some of the toy movers. The vehicles don't really provide much space for your bikes.

The one that is motorized (and has a "garage" for your bike) barely has enough room/space for a Sportster. The ones that are pulled behind a truck seem to have more space and cost less, but they still are a LOT of money. Would you ever get your money back on one of those puppies? Maybe if you got a used one at a good price and did a lot of short trips. But if you are doing short trips, why don't you just drive the bike. Why short trips, the IMO units don't have the luxury of a real-live RV and you wouldn't want to "live" in them for more than a few days.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
RV

I started RVing as a kid with my parents. I have owned my own RV's for the past 20 years. Either fifth wheels or Travel trailers. I prefer travel trailers at this time for a few reasons.

1. The toy - hauler types are not as well made.
2. The toy - hauler types do not have the creature comforts.
3. The toy - haulers give up to much interior space for the garage.
4. With a fifth wheel I can not put toys in the truck bed.

With a RV you need a substantial tow vehicale. Especially if you plan to haul heavy toys. I bet fully 50% of the trucks you see pulling travel trailers or fifth wheels are overloading the GVWR or GCWR of the truck. Dealer wanted to sell me a 3/4 ton when I got my current truck. He said an 1 ton was over kill. He was very wrong. I would have exceeded the GVWR of a 3/4 ton by over 500 pounds. Do not believe an RV sales man or truck sales man. They want to sell what they have, so they earn a commision.

I can haul my family and my toys in the bed of my truck and pull the RV with out exceeding GVWR or GCWR in my truck. I use my RV lots, year round.

You will never get your money out of one. If your going to get one you need to use it lots.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I travel every other weekend paying hotels yr round. In the winter time i fish a lot too when not riding. I cannot ride long distances due to my eye illness thus the reason for a hauler. I have 6 planned trips this yr alone from Indy to areas such as, Sturgis, Americade, Florida, Rhode Island, Cape Cod, and PA. All will be biking and fishing.

I have a cadillac Escalade so towing isn't an issue. Its whether or not i want to use the caddy and tow or have a motorhome. The largest RV that i've found is the new 35 ft diesel Thor with 10'5" Cargo Area. That is enough space for 2 bikes and then 2 snowmobile in winter along with my fishing gear. Yes i fish in the winter for steelhead up in Michigan and Northern Indiana.

My wife and i also have 2 dogs and we started taking them on trips with us in the caddy. We just hate putting them in the kennel.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Got any links to them? Seen 'em used for horses and was considering something along those lines to get to Sturgis. :D

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Well, this one looks like it has more space than the last one I checked out.

Does anyone think they can get a FULL size Harley in that space? Sportie, yes. Big Twin, ????

Anybody out there ever gotten a Big Twin in the "garage" area of one of these? If you have, how do you do it?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I checked out Weekend Warriors which come in 23ft, 27ft gvwr loaded 5600# which a GMC Z71 1/2 ton could handle and a 30ft unit where you would need a 1 ton truck to pull.
I think these trailers are very nice and come with lots of standard options and can sleep 4 easily and have lots of room for 2 Big bikes MSRP around 20K and are tax deductable as a second home.
For the weight, money and style check these out. I think they are the best.
Don't own one yet but they go fully loaded on the web used for anywhere around 16k to 22k
As far as hotels go, they're ok if you reserve WAY in advance for a major event, but not readily available for us last minute guys, besides when you travel around on your bike how many times have you passed through some countryside where you said I gotta see this again but there are few if any hotels but there are always campgrounds. Tenting is ok for the young guys , but some of these areas are remote and you could plot your trailer down as the base and have a really good time touring

I don't have one yet but I'm planning and waiting for a deal!

Check out their web site. and acknowledge the unacknowledgeable your a rub.... (relaxed utilizing biker) {Honey get me anothre beer}

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
I have owned a motorhome and would prefer it over a travel trailer or fifth wheel. Trailers are less expensive, especially if you already have a tow vehicle. But imho the convenience and comfort of traveling in a motorhome is worth the extra bucks. If you have a second driver, you can go to the kitchen or bathroom without even stopping.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Easy to overload

flycasterjoe said:
I travel every other weekend paying hotels yr round. In the winter time i fish a lot too when not riding. I cannot ride long distances due to my eye illness thus the reason for a hauler. I have 6 planned trips this yr alone from Indy to areas such as, Sturgis, Americade, Florida, Rhode Island, Cape Cod, and PA. All will be biking and fishing.

I have a cadillac Escalade so towing isn't an issue. Its whether or not i want to use the caddy and tow or have a motorhome. The largest RV that i've found is the new 35 ft diesel Thor with 10'5" Cargo Area. That is enough space for 2 bikes and then 2 snowmobile in winter along with my fishing gear. Yes i fish in the winter for steelhead up in Michigan and Northern Indiana.

My wife and i also have 2 dogs and we started taking them on trips with us in the caddy. We just hate putting them in the kennel.
Believe it or not that caddy is easy to overload with a Travel trailer/toy hauler. A 6000 pound trailer loaded is about the max it can handle. To figure out what is can safely pull weigh it with a full tank of fuel, you and the wife and the doges and what ever else you plan to carry in the Escalade. When you get that weight subtract it from the Goss Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) and you will have the maximum possible trailer weight.

Again I have yet to see any Toyhauler type trailer whose construction compairs to a Holiday Rambler, Carriage, Airstreem, or Newmar product. The toyhaulers are built inexpensively, and desigend for ocasional use. They are not higher end units designed for extended use. As soon as I find a well made toyhauler I will trade my Holiday Rambler for it.

I full well under stand the steelhead or salmon Fishing in MI. I go up to Grand Haven every year for a week or two of fishing. I was born in Battle Creek MI and lived there 18 years. All my family is still there. I go up fishing every year for the past 21 years. Dad and my brother each have a fishing boat in Grand Haven.

I also understand taking the dogs. I have 2, a 12 year old Chocolate labe who has been in 29 states and a 4 year old Great Dane who has been in 16 states.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Camper show was a bust in the sense it had no motorhome style SUT's. They did have plenty of camper/trailer styles. Nothing found to our liking and we have decided not to pull. We will go the motorhome style. We like the cab features for simply getting up and going to the back for restroom, kitchen, sleeping purposes while someone drives, etc.....Next move is to track down a Thor dealer and look over the 35ft diesel fun mover unit. That unit seems to have it all, enough cargo room for bikes, snowmobiles, kayaks, etc......all the toys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts