V-Twin Forum banner

Full face helmet for reducing wind noise

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Alan S 
#1 ·
Its been so long ago that I rode with a full face I cannot remember, so I am asking for some observations from the people on here..
I wear ear plugs for wind noise, while wearing my Half Helmet.. At 65 the wind noise is just intolerable anymore.. What I don't like is I can barely hear my bike or exhaust noise... I have SE mufflers and they are pretty loud without my ear plugs in...
Would a full face, or even a 3/4 helmet cut out most of the wind but let me hear my engine/exhaust noise??
TY all.....

#2 ·
I have a half, a 3/4, and a full face. Like you I wear ear plugs with my half. Unlike you I can still hear my bike with all of them while cutting down on wind noise. Heck I can still hold a conversation with ear plugs.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I just about always wear one when riding.I use a Modular type.Sure is nice in the cold weather.I ride faster with one on since the wind isn't beating my skull, face,and ears around.
In my opinion the key to using one is quality and fit.
I hear my exhaust just fine.If you can't hear your exhaust then just make it louder.

#7 ·
What I am trying to accomplish is being able to hear my exhaust while cutting down on the wind noise... My ear plugs work great, but they block out too much of ALL the noise... Bike exhaust is plenty loud, after riding yesterday with and without the ear plugs..
What I am asking is if I wore a full face or a 3/4, does that block out enough of the WIND noise so I could get rid of the ear plugs??

#11 · (Edited)
What I am trying to accomplish is being able to hear my exhaust while cutting down on the wind noise... My ear plugs work great, but they block out too much of ALL the noise... Bike exhaust is plenty loud, after riding yesterday with and without the ear plugs..
What I am asking is if I wore a full face or a 3/4, does that block out enough of the WIND noise so I could get rid of the ear plugs??
I agree with autoworker re helmet fit. I wear ear plugs all the time and switch off between a full face, 3/4 and shorty helmets. The 3/4 is snug and about the quietest. Another 3/4 I had was much louder and the only thing I could figure was it was a looser fit around the sides of my face and made more wind noise. The FF is a few years old and a Z-something brand. Surprisingly, it seems loud to me - like the sound comes up into it. The shortys are not as loud to me as my old 3/4 and a toss up between them and the FF -- FF might be slightly less loud but shortys are more comfy.

This article has a lot of good info on helmets in general and quiet helmets in particular - Best Quietest Motorcycle Helmets in 2020: Picking The Right One

A few years back I was looking at getting this Schuberth - at the time considered the quietest available. Now there are more - but I like the idea of this one having a neck and chin roll that blocks noise from coming up from the bottom, as that's where mine seems noisy - C3 PRO

At the time they wanted $900. They've come down a bit. Whatever you get, IMO you need to try it on as different ones are made for different head shapes - round, oblong, etc., and IME you want snug but not too snug. If you check out the Schubert site, there's a FAQ section that discusses causes of helmet noise, and a fitment chart. Good info there.

#8 · (Edited)
Mine is not loud, but yes I think you could do without the ear plugs with a full face helmet. I don’t hear any wind noise at all. 🌬. I can still hear my surroundings but it is very peaceful in there and I can hear my own exhaust , But no wind, plus you can open the vents to get some air across your noggin.

Motorcycle helmet Helmet Personal protective equipment Headgear Sports equipment
Helmet Vehicle Automotive design Technology Motorcycle accessories

Edit……. Took a ride this evening, should have said minimal wind nose 🙁

#17 · (Edited)
Most of the time I don't wear a helmet (it can be an oven in AZ heat) I do use ear buds plugged into my cell and crank whatever I'm in the mood (been shooting big guns so long my ears ring as it is) for, outa state runs or winter I use a Full face Bell with Sena 20S, I notice the exhaust seems louder with the full face but wind noise is almost nill unless I have the shield cracked open a lil bit and like AW I do tend to roll faster with full face on due to less wind buffeting (Fatboy or Dyna usually 85-90 as ya'll get run over at 75 Panhead 75-80 tops)

#18 ·
I do use ear buds plugged into my cell and crank whatever I'm in the mood (been shooting big guns so long my ears ring as it is )
That's only going to make the ringing worse because the music has to be too loud above all of the ambient noise. YMMV.

#20 ·
I heard someone say (no pun intended) the ringing is your hearing at that level going away. I'm pretty deaf myself from years of guns, pipes, music, and machinery. I worked in a machine shop on a lathe and cutting would shriek. The gave us these "Sonic" ear plugs that were supposed to close at high frequency. Found out after a couple years they didn't work. 45% hearing loss now. I respond to everything with "whaa..?"

#22 ·
While there might be some difference I never noticed much between a 3/4 and full helmet. Half helmet there's a definite difference. I always wear earplugs anyway because it's just more peaceful and allows me to focus on fantasies about torturing the ex son-in-law. Besides, hearing the bike can be pretty damn scary.

#24 ·
I use Etymotic Musician's earplugs. They are molded to your ear by an audiologist, and have changeable sound filters that offer various levels of sound reduction... 9db, 15db, 20db etc. What makes these work better than foam plugs is that they let in accurate sound, but filtered down for volume. So you'll accurately hear your pipes, engine, road sounds, and even your music (whether outside or inside the helmet) at safe levels.

#26 ·
What makes these work better than foam plugs is that they let in accurate sound, but filtered down for volume. So you'll accurately hear your pipes, engine, road sounds, and even your music (whether outside or inside the helmet) at safe levels.
I'm not sure my tinnitus cares.

#25 ·
My advice to you, if you’re thinking about a full face is, go in to a store and try some on. Have someone help you get fitted. Everyone’s Mellon is different, and a salesman can tell you your shape, and steer you to the appropriate model. Remember venting ability as well as anti-fogging, or you’ll be miserable. I have an Arai DT-X. I wish I would‘ve sprung for the next level up, for better venting. Even so, I’m comfortable up to 80°. Better venting, higher degree tolerance. That being said, I just rode 3,700 miles round trip, and I’m very glad I decided to take the full face. I encountered heavy rain, sleet, snow and 26° temperatures, on my way to Wyoming. I was comfortable the whole way, and even with my VERY LOUD Fat Cat and 110”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.