V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I guess it's my turn.

First bike I remember riding was (I believe) a 165?cc H-D two stroke. We rode that thing around So. Illinois farms where I was raised. The first "real" Harley I rode was my Dad's '49 Hydra-Glide/suicide shift. I still have a scare on my leg from that thing.
The first bike of my own was a '64 Yamaha 250 2-stroke when I was a Junior in HS. Early in my senior year bought a new BSA 650 Thunderbolt.
Had that for just a few months & found a repo'd '66 XLCH only a couple of months old. Wow! In my senior year I only weighed about 150lbs. so only had 3 good kicks in me. If it didn't start then I had to look for someone bigger!
After HS, got my senior trip gratas of USMC: Khe San, class of '68. My Dad sold the sportster while I was in the 'Nam.
Late '68 got married, went to school & over the next 12-13 years had a number of English bikes that I restored.
in '81 got a used '80XLH Sporty, wife (same one) & I rode a lot over the next few years. Sold it in '90 to finance kids school. Wife said I'd regret.
She was right (again).
Pan ahead 11 years to last year. Kids (3) grown & gone, 2 grandkids. Wife (Still the same one!) convinced me to visit local dealer & came away with new XLH1200 Custom.
Put over 4,000 miles in 5 months & traded on '01 FXDXT in August. We can't get enough. Wive enjoys as much as I do-but she keeps eyeing the back seat of the Ultra's!.
Now in our 50's I work for a European car manufacturer as national Technical mgr. & having a great time.
Great web sight,

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I don't know how I missed this interesting post. I guess it just slid by. Anyway, thanks sobmstr. It sounds like you and your wife are really enjoying the Harley experience together. Can't beat that! Since I have enjoyed reading your posts it would seem odd welcoming you now. You know that you are welcome here and you help to make this the great site that it is.

Later,

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Beaut of a first post. Glad to meet you. Your wife sounds alot like mine. I been hitched to her for 25 years. She talked me into buying the road king.

Thanks for the tour in Nam.

Welcome to the forum for motorcycle people who (at the moment of being loggoed on) are not on their bikes. Chewing gum, for the mind.

Some great folks here....getting more each day. post up

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Post up often and enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts