V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2002 XLH Sportster and it's been many years since I had a bike with a manual fuel shutoff valve. I forgot to turn it off when I came home last night. I've heard all of the horror stories about fuel leaking into the engine and ruining the bearings if you don't turn the valve off when you stop the engine. Should I be concerned about 24 hours with the valve still on with the bike sitting in the garage?

·
Registered
875 Posts
dont worry about it, you can leave your petcock open, unhook the gas line and the tank will stay full. With oem pecocks there needs to be suction for the gas to come through the petcock

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yeah, I needed to drain my tank of some shyt gas and found that out also. Funny thing is I think I need to do it again. The filter may need cleaning as the bike intermitently runs like it is starving for fuel or misfiring. Pulled the plug wires individually so I ruled out misfiring. Going with the filter next. Definetly not the gas because I've had three different tank fulls and it still does it. Any other suggestions? TIA:Dennis

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Fourhour:

Check the fuel filter, if it is not that check the high speed jet on your carb. I had an old dirt bike that seemed to starve for fuel when I leaned on the gas, I found a plugged high speed jet :eek:. 0nce cleaned. it ran fine. Let me know what u find.

·
Registered
875 Posts
this thread should have been moved to the evo tech forum, not the twin cam tech forum :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts