V-Twin Forum banner

Fuel Pressure Valve Problem or ....????

18K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Torsiello 
#1 · (Edited)
I rode up and around Mt Rainier (outstanding ride) with a friend on his Fat Boy Friday. The V-Rod ran great, but on the way home I started noteing a slight hesitation, lag, or flat spot when rolling on the throttle at around 4,000 RPM. Yesterday, I took the bike out and it seemed to be more pronounced, I burned off the rest of the tank, and filled with it up with 76 premium, thinking it might have been the Mobil fuel used on the last fill up.

On the way home the bike started surging badly as I rolled off and back on the throttle below 5,000, making a lot of noise in the process. At higher RPMs throttle response was better, but the engine ran weak and loud as it struggled for fuel. As it was getting progressively worse, and I was not far from the Dealer, I rode it to the shop. Off the freeway I had the same problem in the lower gears.

Of course the only V-Rod Tech was off on Saturdays, so I had the service scheduler take her out to confirm the problem (in case it was something intemitent that would self correct overnight). He confirmed the bike was almost unrideable.

I had seen posts on similar (but far less serious) surging and mentioned the "fuel pressure valve" in the tank , and the problems with it, to the advisor. He had no clue what I was trying to tell him. We will see if the Tech will confrim this as the problem on Tuesday.

I guess I am lucky that this did not occur halfway up Mt. Rainier instead of the last 30 miles of the 300 mile ride, but it pisses me off that it would occur at all. I have put 6,000 miles on the bike this summer and felt the engine was running like the proverbial Swiss Clock. If the valve turns out to be the problem and replacement does not permently solve the problem, I am afraid that my confidence in the bike's long distance reliabilty will be greatly impacted. I would hate to have this happen again far from home, or a Dealer (especially if he has to order the part).

If anyone can fill me in on the correct name and operation of this valve, and what is actually happening to it, I would appreciate it? Also, does anyone know how widespread this issue is, and if HD has addressed the issue in a redesign of the valve, or will they just replace it with a similar valve with the potential of this reoccuring? Is there a service bulletin out on this issue? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Fred

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.