V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Need More Details.

There are too many variables to ask the question without qualifiers.
Stock bike? 95" bike? Passenger? How much weight on bike (i.e. luggage, HEAVY passenger and/or rider)? Riding style. Modifications? Get the idea.

After bumping the bike to 95" and going Stage I, my mileage dropped. (No surprise!) My mileage varies a lot; however, it's rare that I can get over the low 40's. I'm frequently in the 37-40 mpg range. City driving driving, and carrying a passenger, drops those figures.

On other boards/forums/sites, I've seen riders mention that they've gotten from the high 20's to the high 40's AFTER they have modified their bikes. Stock mileage is always higher. Let's see what this thread brings out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have kept careful records for 9,000 miles. Ever since my 1K service. Bike is stock 02 FLHT, rider ~ 250lbs, ~25lb in bags (chaps, rain gear etc) Most rides were short, but averaged about 40 miles a day. For first 5K miles averaged about 41 MPG with a max of 48MPG (long ride into the mountains), and min at 31.5. At 5100 miles changed to sampson shotguns and jetted / re-tuned carb. 1 1/2 links cut from spring. No significant change, maybe a little more scatter. Some days i just want to make some motion. After 10K miles, total average is 39.8MPG

·
Registered
686 Posts
02 flht, se high flow rejet , and kerker pipes I always get around 35 - 40 one time I got 42 on the freeway I think I had a tail wind. I was really hoping to get better milage, I was hopeing to get around 45, oh well I am getting good milage now its sitting in the garage covered up.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
rickpoco said:
02 flht, se high flow rejet , and kerker pipes I always get around 35 - 40 one time I got 42 on the freeway I think I had a tail wind. I was really hoping to get better milage, I was hopeing to get around 45, oh well I am getting good milage now its sitting in the garage covered up.
:D No Sh(t, 1month to the gal:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I was always convinced that I got just a bit over 40 mpg regardless of wether the bike was stock or modified based on experience with any number of TC's. Then a while back a lady asked me to go on a ride with her as she had just traded her sportster for a Heritage.
The trip was a little over 250 miles. That day I got 58 mpg with the RoadGlide. Live and learn. LOL.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
2002 road king, stage 2, 203 cams, pc111r. Maybe 40 in town or slow highway, ridibg solo. As low as 30 when really pushing it, 85 on cruise for the entire tank, fully loaded with windshield on, some hills.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 95 Ultra with carb and a few mods got 50 to 55 always.The 98 ultra with injection get 48 to 52 MPG.Thats in town and highway combined.The old ladies 883 converted to 1200 fets like 55.The pan that is somewhat built gets 45.Rocky

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanx 4 replies. Ive had the 01 injected bike since June,put 14k miles on it. seems to get somewhere between 36 to 40 mpg.

my evo bagger gets in the mid 40's consistently,since no one else I know has a TC bagger came here for a little comparison.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry I am late :), just picked up my 03 Ultra. Had the 95 inch kit with SE heads, and 257 cam, and Super traps. Runs very good!!!! Like Hippo told me it taught me the difference between torque and horsepower. My first tank was 26mpg. Break in stuff, low mph and rpm with lots of idiling to warm up (dropping by friends to "hear it") Second tank ran about 34 mpg. I am over 250, and speed limit is 75 on turnpike. I ran some back mountain roads, and 60 miles of turnpike so a pretty good mix. So far I am pleased. Thought it might get a little better but only if I loose 25 lbs. :) Third fill up is due today. Little gas lite came on. It is so cute, wonder what they will think of next?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just got back from Prescott, az, about a 1,000 miles or so (actually got to ride in the cold rain, broke in new rain gear AND heated clothing). Mileage ranged from close to 40, coming down the mountains in the rain (i.e. 60 or so) to about 30 or 31, across the desert at 85 (cruise). Riding single, windshield, T Bag on back.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Mid 40's without the lowers and wind deflectors to mid 30's with them on.

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doktrhog said:
[ Third fill up is due today. Little gas lite came on. It is so cute, wonder what they will think of next? [/B]

It is kinda cute!

but that cute little lite comes on with so little gas left in the tank that if you're way out in the boonies you stand a good chance of walking!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts