V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering at what amount of fuel left in the tank does the fuel light turn on? The service and users manuals don't say. Seems at a little below the half way mark on my '06 Night Train. If memory serves from reading the manual, if I let it get alot lower the light will start blinking. Is that true, or did I just have a brain fart. If it is true, how much fuel is left in the tank when that happens? I obviously haven't let it get down that far.

One more related (noob) question. For whatever reason the fuel gadge on my bike is pretty slow to respond. The pin doesn't get to the correct/current reading until after about 30-45 seconds after I start the bike up. Doesn't budge if the bike is not running but the Ignition/Accessories is turned on. Is that normal?

Thanks a ton...

--Rob

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I have an '05 RK Custom and when that light goes on I've got about 20 miles. I've never seen it blink and it is pretty slow to get up to an accurate reading. It sounds like you are operating correctly based on my experience.

I think when it hits 1/2 tank on the gauge, you have about 1/4 tank of gas left.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... Whats wierd, and what caused me to ask this question in the first place, is that yesterday the light came on and I went to fill it up after about 20 miles. Filled all the way to the top and it was only 3 gallons (on a 5 gallon tank). Seemed odd to me...

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, figured as much. Only got 240 miles on her (been raining alot lately), so haven't had enough time in the saddle with her to get that good of a feel... yet... Gimmy a week or two and I'll be up around 1k... :)

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
You should try to get into the habit of using your trip meter. This is something I learned years ago and it has save me from running out of gas quite a few times. As a matter of fact the gas guage on my Chevy Tahoe hasn't worked in about a year and it hasn't bothered me a bit. I have been doing the trip meter thing for so long I am used to it. Doesn't hurt at any rate.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
The only thing reliable about the fuel guage is that it keeps the fuel in the tank. Reset your trip meter at each fill up and you will be OK.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
keep in mind when you have a new bike the mileage isn't that great when new. I also use the trip odometer and do the math to figure out my mileage to let me know when to fill up and how far I can go before filling it up. I have a 03 heritage classic and get between 45 to 50 mpg depending on conditions such as a head wind, drops drastically in that case. when moving at higher speeds low fuel light comes on sooner than at lower speeds. I think it's due to the fuel movin back in the tank from the motion.

good luck, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
csoday said:
The only thing reliable about the fuel guage is that it keeps the fuel in the tank. Reset your trip meter at each fill up and you will be OK.
The gauge on my Softail actually works. Wow! The gauge on my Ultra, well, that's another story. Use the trip meter and forget the gauges. They are kinda purdy though. :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mine on my Deluxe seems to work fairly accurate so far. The light consistently comes on with one gallon left, although it did come on the other day at half tank and then went off. I guess it's getting ready to screw up.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Same on my Deluxe about a gallon or a little more left. I've had mine come on with a half tank then when i shut it off and turn it on it's fine.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My Classic has about 5 miles left once the light comes on. I learned that the hard way up in the Smokys. Dont trust the gauge, use your trip meter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine comes on whenever it feels like, but usually at about a quarter tank.. If I'm getting close to that level, it will come on when I start it up (was leaning on stand). Ride about a block or two and it goes back off until it gets to a quarter. (05 WG) Have always used the trip meter. Besides, I ride with a lot of Honda GW's and Valks and they are really pigs on fuel so I never even get close to running out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always use my trip meter on my FLHRI. My guage stays at full until I have about 1/2 tank. At 1/4 tank, the guage shows 1/2. The low fuel light comes on when I have about 1/2 gallon left (22-25 miles).

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Surprisingly, the low fuel level light does work on my 04Ultra. Comes on when the bike has 4/10 or less of a gallon left. Does HD actually have a standard for when it's suppose to turn on? From what I read hear, it doesn't appear so. So much for quality control.

I still rely on the odometer.

·
Banned
4,141 Posts
I don't trust the fuel light, or gauge on my Fatboy. The light does consistently come on around 170 miles (according to the tripmeter) and I have about 1.25 gallons left. I average 44-46 MPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
frankencat said:
You should try to get into the habit of using your trip meter. This is something I learned years ago and it has save me from running out of gas quite a few times. As a matter of fact the gas guage on my Chevy Tahoe hasn't worked in about a year and it hasn't bothered me a bit. I have been doing the trip meter thing for so long I am used to it. Doesn't hurt at any rate.
Agree...My 2004 FXDXI will light at about 150 to 180 miles on a full tank depending on how hard I push it. My fuel light comes on with about a gallon left in the tank, but I don't know if I can really suck all of that fuel before I am "empty". I have duel trip meters on my bike and ALWAYS set one of them after a refuel and always fill up at gas stations. Just my 2 cents.

Should be clear Friday Sat and Sun in CA, so PETROCK should get some time in the saddle...I know I will.

Merry Christmas.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
On my old Honda it didn't have a gas guage, so i went by the combo of the trip meter and when I had to switch to the reserve tank (ussually about 130 miles), at which point I have about 30 miles till I'm bone dry. I know that cause I ran out of gas on that bike driving down Highway 1 just south of Big Sur about two years ago. That sucked... So I'm used to using the trip meter method.

Its been raining alot around here so I haven't been able to ride as much as I'd like, only got about 400 miles on the bike so far. Not enough fill ups yet to get a good feel. But that will come in time. Thanks for everyone's responces...

gpcj7 said:
Should be clear Friday Sat and Sun in CA, so PETROCK should get some time in the saddle...
Oh hells yeah... :woohoo: :chopper: :Banadance Just in time for my B-Day (Sunday). Yeah, don't remind me. I already know X-Mas B-Days suck... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts