V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the source of my minor fuel leak at Carb. The plastic fuel inlet is cracked. Now what do I need to do? Can I purchase a new plastic port and have it just slide onto the brass OEM stub? Or am I going to need to remove the brass stub from the Carb. and replace it with a new complete brass port. It looks like a big hassle to remove the exsisting brass stub. Any Ideas? Can I just connect the fuel line to the brass port or is there more to it?

Thx

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Desert_Comm said:
I found the source of my minor fuel leak at Carb. The plastic fuel inlet is cracked. Now what do I need to do? Can I purchase a new plastic port and have it just slide onto the brass OEM stub? Or am I going to need to remove the brass stub from the Carb. and replace it with a new complete brass port. It looks like a big hassle to remove the exsisting brass stub. Any Ideas? Can I just connect the fuel line to the brass port or is there more to it?

Thx
HD makes a replacment...I don't have the number here but it is a solid brsaa fitting. You remove the little nub left in the carb body by putting it in the vice and work the carb back and forth till it comes out then press the new fitting in...piece of cake.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I thought the piece was pressed in. I was searching and some instructions said drill to pull the plug. Do you think I could just use a pair of vice grips to remove it while on the bike. But after thinking about it no way to reset the new plug. Metal shavings are my concern... Is the brass stub just that, could I just connect the supply line to it?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Desert_Comm said:
Thanks, I thought the piece was pressed in. I was searching and some instructions said drill to pull the plug. Do you think I could just use a pair of vice grips to remove it while on the bike. But after thinking about it no way to reset the new plug. Metal shavings are my concern... Is the brass stub just that, could I just connect the supply line to it?
The gas line is prone to come undone if you try to secure it to the small stub.
The inlet is pressed in but like I said put the stub in the vice and wiggle (twist) the carb and it will come out...drilling will make it easier coming out but you will have to remove the float bowl to claen out the filings.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Brass gas inlet fitting is HD part # 27371-76.

Here's the procedure I use although there is always more than one way to get things done.

3. Note the position of the elbow and mark it on the carburetor body. This will allow proper positioning of the new elbow.

4. Break off the plastic portion of the original fuel inlet elbow. This will leave the brass portion projecting from the side of the carburetor. (obviously this has already been accomplished in your case)

5. Using a ¼-20 or ¼-28 tap, tap the remaining brass piece approximately ½” deep.

6. Remove the tap and insert a ¼" x 3-4" long piece of all-thread into the now threaded hole. Do not go so deep as to damage the carburetor body.

7. Use a piece of tubing that is large enough to go around the outside of the opening to act as a spacer. Place a washer on top of the spacer and over the bolt. Thread a nut down onto the washer and gently tighten, pulling the brass piece out.

IMPORTANT! DO NOT SKIP THE NEXT STEP!

8. After removing the brass piece, wash the carburetor body with hot soapy water. Remove any debris or chips.

9. Mount the body in a vice with the inlet hole facing up.

10. Heat the carburetor inlet area. This will ease installation of the new elbow.

11. Position the elbow lining the elbow portion up with the mark you made previously.

12. Quickly insert the elbow into the carburetor body. You may need to gently tap it in to seat it. Do not distort the body!

13. After positioning and installing the new elbow, thoroughly clean the carburetor body.

14. Reassemble the carburetor following your service manual. Install new seals and gaskets as necessary. Check for proper float height.

15. Reinstall the carburetor and check for leaks before doing a test ride.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the info. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and tried to remove the brass port with carb on the bike. For future reference this was a big mistake. Remove the Carb and follow the instructions in this thread.

Now after destroying the brass fitting, I will need to remove the Carb. And drill until thin enough to remove. Then drop the bowl and clean completely.

My next question to the members of the board that I need to say after lurking around have a vast knowledge of information. Since I need to remove the Carb. Should I upgrade to a S & S E or do a Mikuni Easy Kit or redo my stock CV to a better setup or other???.

History; The CV was Jetted by dealer long ago I have heard this may not have been done correctly/properly and has a Hi Flo kit. I am running with an Andrews EV3 cam (not sure if that was a correct decision) Dealer 12 years ago told me no different... Now I do most all my on work. Also have a D & D Fat Cat.

What would you recommend I do at this point? I have put enough money into the bike for now (Xmas coming up) so; I do not want to change throttle cables Etc. Unless this would be the best way for years to come.

I do want to do it right, so what should I go with for best performance from idle to WOT. Out of box reliability

So let me know what your opinions are.

And thanks for any advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts