V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used or heard recommendations on using or not using fuel injector cleaners? I have a Ford powerstroke diesel and "they" say not to use injector cleaner. It is a solenoid operated high-pressure injector, not a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I use a half a can of STP once every three months on my RoadKing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Must Preface My Bias First...

(I work for Chevron)

...But I run Chevron supreme, and it has a healthy dose of Techron (more than the two lower grades).

I don't think it's necessary if you burn a major brand, but I think if you run budget fuel, it will definately not have the same additive packages the majors do...and it certainly won't hurt. If you dollar average, why not just by the major?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't work for Chevron. The only cleaner I use is Techron because Car and Driver ( if I remember correctly ) did a comparo' a long time ago and Techron was the only cleaner that actually cleaned injectors. Anecdote > My moms car was idling very rough and I put a bottle of Techron in it and > new car idle. FWIW.

JMS

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I've never used Injector cleaners. Going on 26k.
Shoud I have been?
Would it make any difference if I started now?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dang, I Should Have Asked Him....

Just got back from a 7-bridge ride/run around the Bay today. Man, was it nice in the City -- like 80-degrees and no wind, no fog.

I rode next to a grey beard, who just had his Evo rebuilt in his Ultra, after 124,000 miles. And he pulled a trailer, too. He changed his oil every 5,000 miles using H-D oil. It had the original clutch, too! Only replaced that because they had it apart. All it needed was a new top end. Has 134,000 on it now. Bottom end was inspected, but fine. He did run an oil cooler. We shifted about the exact point, so maybe I'll be as lucky....

I wanted to ask him, but forgot, what type of gas did he run. I'll have to make a phone call later (not that it even matters, just curious...).

·
Registered
171 Posts
BG 44K is "THE BEST" fuel injector cleaner. What matters more is where you live.
Fuel up north blended for winter is alot harder on injectors than fuel from the warmer climates
But then again most people don't ride in 10-20 degree weather........

·
Registered
206 Posts
Texxan, Why Is The Fuel Up North Worse?

I know individual locations sometimes get special blends of gasoline for a particular location, but why is the gasoline blend for the cooler North so bad for FI?

Why is it harder on injectors?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
299 Posts
All fuels now day's have to meet pretty tough standards or they will find themselves black balled as so many did years ago when GM was having fuel quality troubles. I use the bg444 myself but only in small amounts. A key that many may have never thought about but should is try to buy from a station that has one nozzle per type, and see's a lot of traffic. But never and I mean never get gas while the tanker is dropping fuel. There is a reason why the pickup tube is one inch above the bottom of those underground tanks. Most tanks have water and sediment of about 1/4 inch in depth and this all turns over when they stick those 4 inch fill hoses and drop a thousand gallons in five minutes.

From the injectors that fail flow test and I pull out they look like they have fine hairs growing out of them. Most likely varnish or other forms of trash that make it past the filters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts