V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am eagerly awaiting a new Vrod and am hoping for December delivery. I am interested in finding out how the fuel injection performs with regard to throttle response. I also own a BMW Sport tourer(R1100RT) that is fuel injected with a Bosch Motronic system. At low speeds, even a very steady throttle hand will result in a jerky ride as the FI system "hunts" for the right mixture. This phenomenon is known as surging in the BMW community. It seems to stem from a very lean mixture at the low-end, presumably to ensure passing stricter emissions standards here in the US. Anyone out there have experience with the V-Rod yet to know if it's fuel injection is more refined? Any surging or slackness in throttle response?

I'm also interested in any feedback on handling and ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Only had one ride. Drivability was fine, but you might be disappointed with the handling, ground clearance and ride.
First thing that hits the ground are those chrome covers over the radiator, and they probably are not cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vrod handling

Under what kind of situations would the bike bottom out or scrape parts? What speed/rider weight/cornering steepness?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not so much bottoming out, the suspension travel is very short and stiff in the rear and the front is almost like it has a alot of stiction, maybe because of the rake.
I'm light, about 180, but don't pay much attention to instruments. I'm pretty certain that the speed was no more then the speed I usually ride with the bagger, and the road was what you would call moderately twisty, nothing real tight.
Given more time with the bike one could give a better opinion and maybe adjust lines to find a way around it.
As a sidenote, it seems to have a tendency to follow raingrooves on the pavement more then usual and seems to be sensitive to side winds.
On the plus side it looks better in real life then in pictures, and goes like a bat out of hell for a Harley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your opinion of it.....I'll post once more once I take delivery...although here in the Northeast, there might not be too many riding days once I get it.....

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Ship it to AZ and ride it here.
You probably will be happy with it as long as you don't plan to tour or carve canyons much.
It definitely moves out of the hole, but it draws a lot of attention including from the man, much like a big KZ or blackbird would, so keep your eyes open.
Maybe my impression is somewhat unfair as I tend to compare it to specific bikes I like that may not be in the same class.
Let us know what you think after you get some extended seat time on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
HIPPO
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing