V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a soft tail Harley one of these days and the 2003 I just looked at yesterday had fuel injection. Would it be better to buy one carburated instead of fuel injected? I have read that you can map the fuel injection modules for different air cleaners and pipes but I still want a Harley owners opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I am picking up an 03 RK. I specifically want a carb so I can High HP the sucker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Howdy,, I have a 2001 flstc/i This is the first fuel injected Harley I've had. I love it. I don't plan to do much in the way of HP increases however. I have the stage i kit and after market pipes and thats all I want. Its got plenty of get up and go for me.
Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob, when you changed your pipes, and installed the stage 1 kit, did you bike have problems with the mapping they talk about for the fuel injection?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Softtail fan, FWIW, I have an 02 FLHRCI that I have had the dealer put the Stage 2 kit in (95" pistons, cams, pipes etc) and am in the middle of a nightmare trying to get it tuned. Pinging that is unbearable. The dealer has told me that the Motorcompany tells them that we need to "change our riding style" meaning no hard throttle below 3000 rpm, which is BS! I'd recommend you talk to your dealer before going beyond Stage 1 to be sure they have a wrench in the shop that knows how to tune the new Delhpi EFI or you might be in trouble if you get in any deeper. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
EFI pro's
You don't have to pull the choke. Actually you don't have to do this either on the carb bikes unless the weather is real cold or it's the first start in the morning.

EFI con's
As reliable as they are, even in a best case scenario, over the life of the bike it will cost you significantly more money to maintain and repair. It also makes you dependent on the dealers as most independent shops do not have the proprietary equipment to diagnose these bikes or the knowledge to do so without it. Even some dealers with the equipment seem to be unable to diagnose these bikes.

While somewhere down the road all bikes will be EFI due to EPA regulations, I feel HD is at this time over emphasizing EFI precisely for the reasons mentioned above.

The best definition of EFI. It's a dealer, and to a minor extent HD, profit center built into every bike.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Do not confuse EFI in the automotive world with EFI on HD's.

The auto manufacturers have to conform to federal OBD standards which make diagnostic equipment pretty universal and standardized, meaning any shop can invest a few thousand dollars in diagnostic equipment and have no problems diagnosing.
Japanese motorcycle manufacturers generally try to keep these systems as simple and freestanding as possible, in some cases even integrating the diagnostic software into the bike and making it accessible from the instrument cluster.
HD on the other hand chooses to integrate EFI systems with other systems on the bike, requiring unique diagnostic routines and the diagnostic equipment is for all practical purposes not available at any price.
You can not look at EFI as being the same in all cases.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I bought the carb model 02 Heritage, and am very happy after a basic stage one using a dynojet kit, and most importantly, having a dyno tune up at Bartels in SoCal. The bike runs excellent. The Fuel Injection wiring, sensors, high pressure fuel pump in tank, dealer re-flashing, and all the nightmare stories I see posted make me feel good about getting a carb.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Nightmare seems a little strong.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I never bothered with the Stage 2 on my Rk because it was EFI. To me, (personal opinion) it is a waste of money. The injectors presently out there just can not take advantage of a big bore like a carb model could.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if i were you i would buy an efi bike. i have had two them both the morrli and delpi. the bike you have in mind has a delphi. harley has a efi tuner
available for these that is quite neat.the problem you have is finding people that knows what there doing be ware of that. in the past year ihave been working on this efi issue. get good people to work for me
and getting a understanding of efi. we have came up products for
efi they are adjustale fuel regulators. we are having good success
with these. we currently recieved our efi tuner from harley and
getting to know it in and out. the future is efi so we got to know
it. if you decideon a cab bike i recomend both 44 cv and 42mm
mikuni carb. if you need help on your bike keep me in mind
short-block charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess that I am a victim of all the propaganda HD and everyone else has spouted. I am about ready to plunk down the deposit on a new DYNA, but I was thinking I should wait for the EFI model since I am in nor rush. Does a stock EFI’ed. Harley run better and more reliably (temp, humidity, and elevation changes?) How about the effect on mileage? I am only planning Stage I improvements on the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personnaly would not buy any EFI Harley. Like Hippo mentioned...it is integrated into the system. If it were more like the auto industry...then I might think about it.

Besides, motorcycles are suppose to be simple and fun!! EFI with all that extra wiring...well that is not fun!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Regarding "Black Classics' problem with his EFI FLHRCI 1550 Stage II, I can fix that "problem" faster with the EFI Tuner than most people can find their screw driver and get the air cleaner cover off -much less correctly adjust their carb. I was in Indy and Minneapolis in the last month on my FLHTCUI and in both cases ended up getting free labor and teaching dealer techs how to run the software. Its just a matter of time as the precision is unmatched. Can't wait for the four injector twin plug systems.....

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
<snip>and in both cases ended up getting free labor and teaching dealer techs how to run the software.<snip>

There is no doubt in my mind that YOU can, if you happen to have the laptop and interface handy, but the above statement sort of reinforces the point I was trying to make.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I never thought I'd like EFI on my bike but my Ultra changed my mind.
I always had cold blooded bikes, this one you wait for the light to go out , hit the switch and go.
Nobody I know of around here dislikes their EFI near as much as their carbs.
Everyone told me so , but I wouldn't listen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
<EFI or Carb>
After perusing the hundreds of comments about the pros & cons of EFI or Carbs. I am getting a feeling that Harley did not or has not spent the time in R&D and/or with the local mechanics to cheaply, rapidly and reliably fix EFI problems. As a result the millions of old wrench’ers who have tuned a thousand carbs can get the job done cheaper and more reliably. So…. If Harley gets the training out there and allows for “some” tuning flexibility in their OEM EFI Systems, then all the “downsides” to EFI will go away? Or.... make sure your local guy has some solid EFI experience?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reading most of the comments on this board has made me come to the conclusion that as of NOW, Carb versions are the only way to go...My 2003 Road King runs great in 30 degree or 95 degree weather...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Eventually all will be direct injection, water cooled, even our lawnmowers. In California I hear that you have to have permit to fart.

JMS

1 - 20 of 28 Posts