V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a Super Glide. For those of you that own them, is it worth it to hold out for a fuel injected model? I would be willing to buy any Super Glide that is a 2000 or newer, but would hold out for an '04 or newer if the fuel injection is worth it. I am not the type to "tinker" with the bike too much. I just want something very reliable and rideable.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fuel injection is most definitely worth it. ESPECIALLY if you don't want to have to mess with anything to have the bike run correctly. Fuel injection does all of the work for you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The '05 Superglide I had was carbed and it was cold natured, but that is not the case with all engines. I either had to leave the choke halfway out for longer than I thought was good for it, or stay on the throttle just a tad at stoplights to keep it from cutting off. I had to ride about 5 miles before it would idle unassisted.

My injected '06 WG starts first time, every time, even at 20 degrees. I'm sold on fuel injection now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was going to be my next question. Is there an advantage to the closed loop FI system in the '06 model? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each of them? Is one easier to modify with a stage 1, if there is such a thing with FI?

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
yep!!!!its worth it as long as you either ride stock or spend the money to kill the epa demons.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
lsmith said:
That was going to be my next question. Is there an advantage to the closed loop FI system in the '06 model? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each of them? Is one easier to modify with a stage 1, if there is such a thing with FI?
If you are not going to do major tinkering with the motor, then FI is the way to go. My 2005 FXDI starts easy regardless of temperature or how long it has been sitting. It also and runs well and gets decent mileage. (Stage I - 95" kit).

The '06 models are closed loop, that is after reaching operating temperature, data on the lean/rich condition (monitored by the O2 sensors) is sent to the engine management computer. The computer continuously adjusts the air/fuel mixture based on this O2 sensor feedback.

FI without O2 sensors relies on an internal data map to adjust air/fuel mix. There is no feedback of the actual air/fuel mixture to the computer - open loop. For driveability sake, most closed loop FI systems are OPEN LOOP until the motor reaches operating temperature.

In theory closed loop systems are superior - actual air/fuel performance data is sent to the computer so that the air/fuel mix is known. An open loop system depends on a data map - its a/f mix is an estimate.

In practice closed loop systems can be problematic. Placement of the O2 sensors and computational speed of the computer can result in the computer sending inappropriate air/fuel signals to the injectors. The result is "surging" at steady throttle openings. (The fuel management system gets out of step with engine needs - it sends "rich" signals when a "lean" signal is needed, etc.) Sign on to the BMW forums for lively discussions of "surging".

I have not seen many complaints about "surging" on Harley-Davidsons. I think the Delphi folks have done a pretty good job.

I wouldn't be concerned about open/closed loop - both bikes should run well. I would get the Delphi fuel injection - error codes etc look a lot like any GM vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
84FXRP said:
If you are not going to do major tinkering with the motor, then FI is the way to go. My 2005 FXDI starts easy regardless of temperature or how long it has been sitting. It also and runs well and gets decent mileage. (Stage I - 95" kit).

The '06 models are closed loop, that is after reaching operating temperature, data on the lean/rich condition (monitored by the O2 sensors) is sent to the engine management computer. The computer continuously adjusts the air/fuel mixture based on this O2 sensor feedback.

FI without O2 sensors relies on an internal data map to adjust air/fuel mix. There is no feedback of the actual air/fuel mixture to the computer - open loop. For driveability sake, most closed loop FI systems are OPEN LOOP until the motor reaches operating temperature.

In theory closed loop systems are superior - actual air/fuel performance data is sent to the computer so that the air/fuel mix is known. An open loop system depends on a data map - its a/f mix is an estimate.

In practice closed loop systems can be problematic. Placement of the O2 sensors and computational speed of the computer can result in the computer sending inappropriate air/fuel signals to the injectors. The result is "surging" at steady throttle openings. (The fuel management system gets out of step with engine needs - it sends "rich" signals when a "lean" signal is needed, etc.) Sign on to the BMW forums for lively discussions of "surging".

I have not seen many complaints about "surging" on Harley-Davidsons. I think the Delphi folks have done a pretty good job.

I wouldn't be concerned about open/closed loop - both bikes should run well. I would get the Delphi fuel injection - error codes etc look a lot like any GM vehicle.
-2$en#e- Carb is much cheaper to work on. FI is nice and you can do alot with it but it'll cost you. Also the 06 only has one O2 sensor so it's not possible to get a accurate reading. There's is nothing checking the rear exhaust.

·
Registered
227 Posts
bigoscycles said:
-2$en#e- Also the 06 only has one O2 sensor so it's not possible to get a accurate reading. There's is nothing checking the rear exhaust.
not true at least on my 06 it has 2 - o2 sensors, 1 in front, 1 in the rear pipe

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
My 04' Road Glide is injected and has saved me an enormous amount of riding time not spent choking and un-choking a carbureted motor. :woohoo:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Uk EFI

Hi i have a 2004 fxdl with EFI and even in our wet climate it's never missed a beat, i would go for EFI every time .
Safe riding.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I have a 2005 FXDXI and a 1992 Yamaha FJ1200, a 1200cc carb equiped in-line 4 cylinder. On cool mornings, the FXDX fires right up and is ready to ride immediately while the Yamaha may or may not start on the first attempt and needs to warm up before it can be ridden. I know lots of people like carbs because you can work on them, but I prefer the convience of fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
go for the EFI, if you like to tinker, get the SERT installed.

I have an 05 FXDi, and it has NO problems with the cold weather.

·
Registered
274 Posts
2006 Dyna Lowrider, no option just EFI. That was fine with me since I live in the high desert 5000 ft. and ride up to 8500 ft. and down to 2000 ft. so EFI is the best for my riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like all said above, the EFI is the way to go. One push of the start button and away you go. Had a Sportster with a carb, which is easy to work on, but the cold days were tough. Warm the bike up too much and I would foul the plugs, not enough the bike would run rough for the first couple of miles.

The only negative about the EFI is on a new bike you will want to do the Harley tax thing and will need the factory stage 1 download or PC or DFO or SERT etc. Much is isn't cheap. But since you willing to look used, I bet if you buy a used bike, it will already have that taken care of.

LeavenworthJeff
05 FXDI Silver

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Fuel Injection is awesome when it works the way it's supposed to. When it doesn't, it sucks trying to troubleshoot - almost no way to do it yourself. I wished more than once for a carbureted bike when I had some problems awhile back. Then again, I don't miss having to f*ck with trying to dial in a picky S&S carb...

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
I seem to see things differently. I enjoy the whole ritual of pulling out the choke, warming her up, and working with the choke til she's warmed up, plus no fuel maps ;). Also, I feel more involved with the bike and more in control.

I think fuel injection is terrific on cars, but not on my bike. I mean it's better technology than a carb (as precise as a toilet flush), but I still don't want it. JMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts