V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have a issue with the crankcase filling up with fuel. First time it was my fault by not turning off the petcock valve. So I figure it was time for a carb rebuild. I did the rebuild a couple of months ago and last weekend the bike puked gas and oil out of the remote breather again, and the petcock valve was closed! Arrrgggg!!
So now I have a new chrome plated petcock valve as a stocking stuffer hoping and believing it will solve the problem.

Any thoughts on this problem??

Getting tired of cleaning the Exxon Valdez oil spills in the garage. :badmood:

MikeyB

·
®
5 Posts
i do agree with the bad petcock, i've had one myself. but i'm wondering why your the excess gas wasn't comming out the overflow tube from the carb.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
MikeyB
You should also replace the needle and seat for the float bowl in the carb. Adjust your float level to spec after replacement. Softails are hard on these things. I am on my 2nd after 50k the first one was toast.
Even if you petcock did not shut off the needle and seat should have keep the gas from flowing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LittleBear,
I did replace the needle and seat of the float valve during the rebuild. I didn't know that the float was adjustable?
I'm now running the carb dry before parking for the week and planning to upgrade the motor and carb to an S&S anyway next year.

MikeyB

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
To adjust the float level, you have to bend the tab that touches the float needle. The shop manual gives the procedure.
S&S are good carbs, but I am a Mikuni man myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts