V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my fuel pump assembly and I got new clamps from the dealer. Where can I get the crimp pliers to crimp the new clamps?

Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Motion Pro sells one and there are a few others. Contact a local shop and have them look up the tool in an aftermarket book, (Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome, Bikers Choice....).
 

·
I'm Paid Up...
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
If you are looking to save some money, try Harbor freight for a cheap diagonal pliers, then file the sharp edges smooth. That'll make a nice tool for $2.00. HOWEVER...you'll need some goggles and gloves so you'll be protected when you are using these cheaply made tools! Those will cost you about $10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,413 Posts
I'll 2nd the use of the tool for auto CV boot clamps. They work real good as long as you've got a little space.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
if you have nothing else you can even use nail nippers(don't think thats the right term) or even wire cutters work if you are carefull. The proper tool will be the best though. It looks like nippers but has a center piece the pushes down in the middle to secure the crimp.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
crash1292 said:
use a normal hose clamp
Agree. Why not use hose clamp???? HD does what is best for manufactoring. But I guess it come down to how much $ you got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
crash1292 said:
use a normal hose clamp
I agree. They are available chrome-plated as well.

For dozens of reasons, over the years, I've had the need to remove or disconect a hose for something. I've changed all mine over time. I also carry a length of extra line on long trips. You never know when Murphy will strike. This way I'm armed.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
look for BREEZE stainless-steel worm drive hose clamps.
they are american made, and Halrey uses them as OEM for several purposes
(the muffler's heat-shields for example).
another important point is these hose clamps are friendlier to your hoses then the crimping ones.
they don't have sharp edges that will injure the hose's surface.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
I agree with Bobber, go to any marine parts store and buy stainless steel hose clamps. They are made to survive in the salty wet marine environment
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Hey Ed and Chop.... thanks for this tip. I like these a lot better than reg. hose clamps.:thanks:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I removed my fuel pump assembly and I got new clamps from the dealer. Where can I get the crimp pliers to crimp the new clamps?

Thanks.
I just used tile nippers on mine. You just have to be gentle enough not to cut through the clamp.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I removed my fuel pump assembly and I got new clamps from the dealer. Where can I get the crimp pliers to crimp the new clamps?

Thanks.
Like the others said, just use some inexpensive wormgear-type hose clamps that you can get at any hardware or auto parts store. They'll cost you about 50 cents each and are reusable. You can also tighten them up easily if they get loose. Nothing says that you have to use all "Genuine H-D parts" on your bike. There're are a lot of better products out there. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
378 Posts
Something to look out for - there are some CHEAP Chinese-made worm-drive hose clamps out there. I've run across them and they are extremely weak. Stay away from them!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
These are the fuel line fittings are on the fuel pump inside the tank. I already picked up the HD crimp clamps (dirt cheap) when getting the rest of the stuff I needed. I have tile nippers so I'll probably use those to tighten the clamps. I finally found the proper name for the tool though - Ear Clamp Pliers.

One thing I couldn't believe was the cost of the fuel filter. I figured I might as well replace it. My bike has 18,500 miles and when is the next time I'm going to be inside the tank. But $47, damn!

Thanks for the info!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
thatoldbike said:
These are the fuel line fittings are on the fuel pump inside the tank. I already picked up the HD crimp clamps (dirt cheap) when getting the rest of the stuff I needed. I have tile nippers so I'll probably use those to tighten the clamps. I finally found the proper name for the tool though - Ear Clamp Pliers.

One thing I couldn't believe was the cost of the fuel filter. I figured I might as well replace it. My bike has 18,500 miles and when is the next time I'm going to be inside the tank. But $47, damn!

Thanks for the info!
I wonder why the MoCo put the filters inside the tank in the first place? An inline, external filter would have worked just as well, and you could use any brand you wanted to use. I probably just answered my own question.... More $$ for the stealerships and the MoCo. :whatever:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
ToddM said:
I wonder why the MoCo put the filters inside the tank in the first place? An inline, external filter would have worked just as well, and you could use any brand you wanted to use. I probably just answered my own question.... More $$ for the stealerships and the MoCo. :whatever:
If they put them on externally, you wouldn't be able to use Syn 3 and they would make your ass look fat in chaps.:harhar: :harhar: :harhar:
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top