V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was woundering how accurate you fuel guages are. i cant get an accurate
read on mine (98 fxdl) which makes it hard for calculating a long distance run. wanted to know if anybody has the same problem or of a good replacement......

thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
My FXDL

went all the way to "E". Didn't hit reserve, but pulled into a gas station with 111 miles on the odometer. Took 3.02 gallons. This was my first gas stop since I got it Monday. The math tells me I still have 1 gallon to reserve, and 0.9 more on reserve. at an abysmal 36mpg on the first tank, I could have gotten 68.4 more miles.

My money says I didn't receive it with a completely full tank of gas from the dealer.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re: My FXDL

txmedic said:
went all the way to "E". Didn't hit reserve, but pulled into a gas station with 111 miles on the odometer. Took 3.02 gallons. This was my first gas stop since I got it Monday. The math tells me I still have 1 gallon to reserve, and 0.9 more on reserve. at an abysmal 36mpg on the first tank, I could have gotten 68.4 more miles.
txmedic,

your mileage will improve at the motor breaks in. I too initially got 3x mpg, after a couple thousand miles, its over 40 mpg.

wyo

·
Registered
396 Posts
mancini said:
i cant get an accurate read on mine (98 fxdl) which makes it hard for calculating a long distance run.
What do you mean? Reads too high, too low, non-linear movement?

My gauge works really good - no problems. I always reset the trip odometer at fill-up to give me a sanity check for the gauge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guage

i filled up the tank to full capacity and the guage does not read full and with in 3 or 4 miles it reads 3/4 full. i have figured out the mliage by gals and odometer but was woundering if this was a common problem or its time to replace the guage..

and yes i checked it with the bike in the straigh up position off the stand..

thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Like Maj, I always reset the trip odometer. I figure at about 160 miles. in urban areas, I start paying attention and always get gas by 180-190 (which was 4.8 gallons). My low fuel light (efi model) is not that reliable either. greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts