V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post here because did not fide a better place. My fuel gauge sending unit crashed today. I took of the unit (and the whole gas thank) and fished out the floating bowls. But now I have tre piece thats match toghether but donts stay toghether: a white sock with cirtcuit fitted to the gauge, a very smola grey metal parts with elecrical brushes and the floater with a steel rod. I can assemble them but they are loose, seems that there where a forth piece to close or link the whole thing: Obviously coul not find the exploded in the repair manuals. Amyhone can expalainme or gave me a link where i can find a picture?
Ps while in there a noted some scrape on internal paint where gas comes in , these is anything I can use to macke a little patch

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
what model and year of bike? (they're different inside)

Sounds like the right answer is a whole new sending unit. If there's no obvious way to attach everytig correctly (snap rings? rivets? screws?) its probably beyond home-workshop repair. These things work 'cause the float makes a varible resistor move and vary the voltage to the guage. if there's even a little too much play in the resistence element, the guage will go crazy inaccurate. Sorry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bike is 2003 dyna, the only thing I can immagine is a circlips very very small, may be 7 parts of an inc, that fits the foot iron rod of the floating ball. This coul be lost in the thank (non suched thru the carb I hope, fortunatley have extra filter the line) but disappeared wen I empty the tank.

·
Slightly Abrasive
123 Posts
Parts Manual has very good exploded views of assemblies.
My 01' Softy manual lists what you are describing as Fuel gauge sending unit.
Its all one piece.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
motardue said:
I post here because did not fide a better place. My fuel gauge sending unit crashed today. I took of the unit (and the whole gas thank) and fished out the floating bowls. But now I have tre piece thats match toghether but donts stay toghether: a white sock with cirtcuit fitted to the gauge, a very smola grey metal parts with elecrical brushes and the floater with a steel rod. I can assemble them but they are loose, seems that there where a forth piece to close or link the whole thing: Obviously coul not find the exploded in the repair manuals. Amyhone can expalainme or gave me a link where i can find a picture?
Ps while in there a noted some scrape on internal paint where gas comes in , these is anything I can use to macke a little patch
Here is a picture from my parts catalog (2001 Road King). Not shure that it is the same as yours. Hope it helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts