V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a balmy 27 degrees here today. Unfortunately, I had to ride my bike up to the sheriff's office (another story of it's own)... Anyways, since I don't get to ride much in the winter, in order to ward off condensation, I always keep the tank filled up. On the way home, I noticed a little gasoline dribbling out of the edge of the fuel gauge and running down the tank.

My bike is an '06 Wide Glide. It has the gas cap on the right and the fuel gauge/fake cap on the left. I got to looking at it, and my whole gauge was loose from the tank. It pulls out really easy. I pushed it back down, but the little plastic edges didn't seem to "catch" on the hole in the tank. I even tried hammering on it with my fist. It's still loose. I'm wondering if the cold weather might have caused the metal in the tank to contract, thus increasing the size of the hole the gauge fits in? .... Or maybe the fuel expanded and pushed the gauge up out of the hole? .. It takes a little pressure to push it back in, but it doesn't seem to catch and you can pull it back out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Holy crap! That sure doesn't seem safe at all. I'll bet it's a combination of both cold weather and full tank. Fuel expansion due to operating heat and a full tank and tank contraction due to extreme cold weather. Still though...you wouldn't think this stuff should happen. I would think that there should be some kind of rubber seal around that area that would allow for those variables.

What the heck are you doing riding at 27 degrees!!??? Anything less than 48 degrees and I'm staying home!

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
try a bit of silicone sealant - not too much

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Kevjud
Let the dealer take care of it under warranty. A full tank and cold riding should not cause this.
@gree:
The right cap is vented and the tank has an overflow. No way pressure should have caused this and it is dangerous. Let the DElealer handle it under waranty.
Just take pictures of your tank and document its condition so if the dealer damages it, he is responsible.
Ride safe.

·
BlueSkiesandTailwinds
188 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but, There should not be any fuel at all in or around the fuel gauge. My 05 lowrider has had it's replaced by me and it's just a hole with a small tube welded in through the tank for wiring.

I wonder if your weld at that point is bad. When you look in the hole is there fuel??????????

·
Registered
16 Posts
JamieWG,
I have the parts book for my 02 Wide Glide sitting in front of me and there is a gasket between the sending unit and the gas tank. So there should be NO gas on the left hand side of the gas tank. And the gas gauge should be a real snug fit.
Hope this helps you.
Rev Jim.............

·
BlueSkiesandTailwinds
188 Posts
There is definitely a gasket there but the only reason I think it's there is to protect the paint and the wiring.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
This happened on my 03 FXSTI. I figured the part cost was higher than the $50 deductible on the warranty. AND--- maybe the dealer might be able to do this job without F***ing it up. The bike survived and the new guage doesn't have any condensation in it. So I made out twice.

Just bring it in and they will replace it. This is a common problem.:beatdh:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info, guys. I guess it needs to go back to the dealer. Probably needs to go back anyway for a few other things, but I just been putting it off. There is no gas down the left hole. The gas that's dribbling down the tank is like condensing gasoline vapors. The fumes leaking out from under the gauge are causing it. I guess I'll ride it over there this week. It's gonna be a cold ride...

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
JamieWG said:
Thanks for all the info, guys. I guess it needs to go back to the dealer. Probably needs to go back anyway for a few other things, but I just been putting it off. There is no gas down the left hole. The gas that's dribbling down the tank is like condensing gasoline vapors. The fumes leaking out from under the gauge are causing it. I guess I'll ride it over there this week. It's gonna be a cold ride...
Try to drain some of the fuel so that the risk of leaking is reduced. You may end up in a ball of fire if the fuel dribbles onto the hot cylinder heads and a spark comes into play.
And it's gonna be a 'hot' ride then.

just my $0.02

·
Registered
282 Posts
Had gas coming up through the gauge on my 03 FXD. Different set up, but the same basic idea. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the tank and gauge. They said the fuel had damaged the paint under the plastic tank guard. Never actually saw the damage under the cover, but like Berno said $50 deductible would be cheaper than replacing parts (and somehow, my dealership felt inclined to waive the $50, so I managed to get it done free).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts