V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first touring bike, a 2006 Street Glide. Those two imstruments are pretty worthless, both reading WAY over what reality is. The one other friend who has a n FLH (2004) says his is the same way. Is this just something to live with?

KK

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The temp guage sensor can be moved out of the fairing and will be alot closer to real time temps. And the fuel float can be tweeked as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yep, both gauges are pretty much useless. Most people replace the Air Temp with a compass or an Oil Temp gauge. As far as the fuel gauge, I have never trusted one on a motorcycle or an aircraft. On a motorcycle I have always used the trip meter to keep track of fuel mileage. :) :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
The air temperature guage is useless and I have replaced it with an oil temp guage. The fuel guage on my bike gives me a good idea how much fuel is left. Once I got used to how this particular guage works, I find it useful but I rely on the trip meter.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Air temp gauge is a waste of good space, but the fuel gauge is nice to have. The gas gauge on both the 05 EG Classic I had and my 06 Ultra seem to be pretty much spot on. I always set the trip odometer and watch milage as a backup to the gas gauge. When the gas gauge gets down to around the 1/4 mark I have about 1 gallon left.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
My fuel gauge is right on the money..........I guess I'm lucky with that one.

The air temp gauge is pretty accurate in the cold temps, but in the summer it's way off.

I'd like to replace it with the oil temp kit.........but $140 is a bit steep since I already have the oil temp dipstick.

Steve

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:
I'd like to replace it with the oil temp kit.........but $140 is a bit steep since I already have the oil temp dipstick.

Steve
This is what you want...it is much more accurate than the one HD sells. Installation is a breeze and the guage is very accurate.

http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/virtualshop/OT.asp

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nice topic, I just rode my EG Classic yesterday until it ran out of gas, then clicked the reserve on. I wanted to see if the fuel gauge had any accuracy, unlike the air temp meter. I rode 194 miles, mainly highway. My gauge read about 1/4 to 1/8"" above empty. I suppose it counts and displays the remaining reserve fuel, and my low fuel light did not come on, again maybe this will only come on when I get low on reserve fuel. Is this about right?

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
I'm not sure but I think the low fuel light is only functional if you have FI.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How do you tweak the float?Which way? I have a 03 Ultra that reads1/2 when full.Goes down,but will show no more than 1/2.Dealer said the sender was bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts