V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with their fuel gage getting condensation on the inside? I have a 2002 FLHTC/I, and after washing it and letting it set, about half of the gage gets fogged up on the inside. I don't spray water directly on the Inst. panel but it does get wet from overspray. Sense it is only a month old I took it to the dealer while it was still fogged up so her could see it. They ordered me a new one, but one tech there wasn't 100% sure HD would cover it under warranty. He told me in 1995 they had a tech bulletin from the company saying fogging gages was normal. I sure hope this isn't the case. Headquarters and I will have to have a little chat if it is.

·
old timer
516 Posts
My 02 RoadGlide does tha same thing...condensation causes the guages to fog a bit but the dry out really fast during the day...hell, it doesn't bother me and it seems to go away.

I ride mine in all kinds of weather so I am not surprised by it.

manny

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing that concerns me the most about it is over time it can't be doing the inside workings of the gage any good. I figure get it fixed while HD pays for it (I hope). None of the other gages do it so far.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My FLHT does the same thing. Like Manny said, it goes away quick. I've never had the gauge out of the fairing, but I would imagine it could be taken apart and resealed. For me . . . I'll wait until the fog clears!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Funny, my fuel guage does the same thing - only the fuel guage though none of the other guages are affected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 02 FLHTCI does the same thing and only on the fuel gauge. I told my dealer about it and he said they all do it and would not be covered under warranty. Let us know what yours says.

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
more fogging

i have a 98 flhtcui and only the fuel gage fogs. took it out and resealed, still fogs. works fine though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer. A new gage was ordered, and they will check with the factory about it being covered under warranty. It wouldn't surprise me if it is not covered. I had basically the same problem with the stereo in my car 2 years after I had it and the dealer fixed it under warranty, no questions asked. I'd hate to think HD would not cover this on a 4 weeks old bike that cost much more than my car.

Maybe if enough of us take the problem to the dealers, the factory might get the idea something is wrong and look for a fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 2000 flht fogs up. and in 2001 hd made the fuel gauge more resistant to fogging. so i asked them to put one of the newer ones on my bike which was still under warranty at the time. and they would not do it. jack

·
Registered
903 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised if you get the new one, have to pay for it, and it still will fog. My scoot is a 2001 and it fogged the second day I had it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm in a fog too........but then I could always move to California !!! :D
Fuel Guage, I can't see also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
TFB

We all have had Fuel Gage Fogging issues. The MOCO does not cover the gage for fogging, claiming that they are using the best marine grade gave available, and as you can see ALL of the fuel gages fog. No other gages, just the fuel. (BTW, the fuel gage in my boat does not fog and it a cheep $29 gage.

Problem is, the gages fog. Solution is, the MOCO tells us it’s normal. Short of a class action, there appears little that can be done.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: TFB

cathari said:
BTW, the fuel gage in my boat does not fog and it a cheep $29 gage................Short of a class action, there appears little that can be done.
We could try out using a Teleflex boat fuel guage in there....

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
How about a piece of fishing line anna float?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Add mine to the list that fog. 2000 ultra. Mine also clears after a bit. And, not to sound snippy, but you really don't rely on the fuel gage do you? I mean, you do reset your trip with fill-ups, right? When the injected types run out, they run out. Trust me. :)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If mine runs out, fill it up and press 'start'..........:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
<laughs> Works wonders unless one is 15 miles from the nearest gas station since the local one decided to shut down early. EFI is nice, but I miss reserve. Especially since I'm worse than my wife about keeping a full tank. :)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm NEVER out on the road without breakdown insurance/roadside assistance............Which includes runnin out of gas. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts