V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Harley. I'm still a newbie. I got a question about the fuel enrichener knob

When starting the bike up (say first thing in the morning) how long do you leave the fuel enrichener knob fully out. The manual says 15-30 seconds and then ride it like that for 2 miles then move it in half way for 2 miles and close it after that.

The bike revs very high if you take off after only 30 seconds with enrichener out. It seem like it should warm up longer before riding it.

Any suggestions????????????
I don't want to do any damage

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's what I do, learned from a guy that had over 250,000 miles on his HD, with only scheduled maintenance:
1. Pull choke knob all the way out and start bike.
2. After bout 30-60 seconds, hold the throttle open a bit and push in choke knob.
3. Lock the throttle,(the screw or knob between the throttle cable at the grip), having it run bout 1000-1250 rpms.
4. Let it run for bout 3 minutes.

While it's running to warm up, I'm checking the bike over, lights, bags, etc. and getting my riding gear on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I start my bike I use full choke but after maybe 5 seconds I push it in to around half choke. It doesn't take long for the rpm's to get high. I continue to push in the choke in small increments to keep the engine speed at a reasonable level. Within about 5 minutes or the time it takes me to get my gear on the choke will be all the way in and the bike is ready to ride.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Little warm up time is needede as long as you take it easy till the motor is hot. Setting there letting the motor run for 3 or whatever minutes is not needed.
I use the no more than 30 sec full out then 1/2 way for a mile or 2 . I am riding down the road within a minute of start up. In very cold condition more warm up time may be needed before taking off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ditto what others have said-only keep the knob fully out for about 15 seconds, then push in half-way for another minute or so, then all the way in. With full enrichment, you can hear the bike start to load up after 15 seconds (at least mine does.) You do not need ANY enrichment after about a minute...plus you will foul the plugs if you leave it enriched for longer than that repeatedly. I like to wait until the rocker boxes are slightly warm to the touch, about 3 minutes before starting off. Go easy the first mile or so, then let her rip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts