V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I went out to check on the new bike in our hauler and got the suprpise of my life. Upon opening the door and stepping in, what did I spy but the poor thing covered in a thin sheet of ice. The sheet metal and even the seats had ice on them. Outside temp was 4 degrees and the temp in the Haulmark was -2. An attempt to start the brand new machine (less than an hour of run time) found the battery stone dead.
So here's my question-can the cold kill a battery? It seems to be taking a charge okay but we'll see. I know have a heater in the trailer cooking away and guess we'll leave it in there. No room in my shop right now so that's not an option.
Any advise? (And moving to warmer climate IS being considered)

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Do you have a battery tender ?? I recomend it and would leave it on. The bike is new (tight) and a cold battery does not put out as much power as a warm one. Charge it and you should be okay. If not, thats what the warrantee is for, good luck.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I would vote for moving something out of the shop into the trailor. You must have some GOOD sh!t in your shop, LOL

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Unless you have naked ladys in that shop, my new bike would sure be in there ;) I'm going with booner on this one :eek: ;) :D

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Get the bike warm before you start! Cold oil don't lubricate worth a damm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree with cwo2lt on this one. NEVER start the motor when its that cold just to see if it will start. It can put a lot of wear on a new engine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A warm bike in a cold trailor is asking for condensation to set on everything!... Adding heat to the trailor to get the bike warmed up is causing all the moisture to be attracted to the cold metal and wiring both outside and inside surfaces.. Leave the bike in the trailor, dehumidify and keep a charger on the battery or put the bike in a garage.... Starting it only satisfies the ear and does more harm to the bike... My .02

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got the battery up to charge and the ultra fired right off. I think (and with great confidence) that my dealer sent the bike out the door with a discharged battery. It did start a little slow when we loaded it there. Anyhow, I have a battery tender on it now and we're watching it close. We don't have much humidity just cold weather. Damn dry it is.
On my shop, I have lots of woodworking machines that are permanent. Just need a bigger shop that's all. Maybe this summer.
Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow if you had a thin sheet of ice on your bike when you opened up the door that is not good, does the trailer have any vents in it? If it was me I would at least leave the door open a little, my two cents .

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm wondering if it's ice or just frost.........ICE i'd be worried about the trailer.....frost, it's just condensation....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess it would have been condensation that froze. Warmer inside the trailer then it got hit by the cold air. The Haulmark haulers have pretty thin walls and they do have side vents. Seems to be okay now but our temps are roaring up around 15 or so.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope. In the hills outside of Bozeman. Missoula is to the west of us. Bought the bike there though.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
mont1340 said:

Any advise? (And moving to warmer climate IS being considered)
Now your thinking. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.