V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new front wheel and I installed the new bearings incorrect. The instructions call to have the left side(brake rotor side/primary side) bearing installed first. Well, I installed the right bearing first. Everything went back together fine but now I see that the brake rotor is not completely centered in the caliper.

I get the feeling I'm going to have to pull those bearings, buy a new set and install them in the correct order to correct the spacing issue.

Am I correct in that assumption?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I picked up a new front wheel and I installed the new bearings incorrect. The instructions call to have the left side(brake rotor side/primary side) bearing installed first. Well, I installed the right bearing first. Everything went back together fine but now I see that the brake rotor is not completely centered in the caliper.

I get the feeling I'm going to have to pull those bearings, buy a new set and install them in the correct order to correct the spacing issue.

Am I correct in that assumption?
As I recall the instructions when installing bearings in my new wheels the reason for installing the primary bearing (brake side first) was to center the rotor in the caliper.

Someone with more experience may have thoughts on how to fix the problem cheaper than pulling the bearings and starting over?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
No magic shortcuts here. Best to start by reinstalling the bearings in the correct order and then go from there. It is possible that the primary bearing may need to be shimmed to achieve the correct alignment.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Doesn't the primary (left, valve stem side) go in first with the spacer under the bearing?
How far off center is the rotor to the caliper? If it's a small amount (less than 1/16"), piston travel in the caliper may make up for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts