V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front shocks on my 2000 Ultra developed a leak. I figured if I have to tear it down, I might as well make improvements. I have progressive 440's on the rear. Anyone have any experience or ideas on what would be a good choice for the front shocks?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has improved the front shocks on an ultra?

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Front shocks? The only Harley I have seen with a front shock is the springer.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Put progressive monotubes in my 02 Road King, love them.

·
5,761 Posts
feelin pedantic tonight, Jeff? :clap:

Front FORKS. Dude wants to beef up his front forks.
Not particularly.

I just wanted to know the fork he was talking about.

I didn't want to give him the wrong information and get him all forked up.:redrolf::clap:

I have not seen a set of Progressive 440's that fit the front of any bike, so I was a bit confused.

Now a progressive emulator kit would be a great improvement, so would using the 2007 and newer factory units.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Jeff if yer gonna be a smartass and bag on someone, better sharpen up a bit:

The front shocks on my 2000 Ultra developed a leak. I figured if I have to tear it down, I might as well make improvements. I have progressive 440's on the rear. Anyone have any experience or ideas on what would be a good choice for the front shocks?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Front shocks? The only Harley I have seen with a front shock is the springer.
I believe that the flow of fluid through a narrow orifice is what controls the rebound of the springs in the forks on my ultra. I also believe this system is commonly called a shock absorber. Maybe the term forks should have been used. I believe you knew what I was talking about. Or perhaps I'm giving you too much credit.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems the site's dead lately.

They're just air over oil that year, right?

Adding race tech, works, or progressive springs and slightly heavier fork oil would be a decent bump at a reasonable cost.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Harley/FLHT Electra Glide/1985-2001

Valve emulators, maybe? If you're not looking to change ride height at all...
Thanks, I checked out the link. The upgrades are pretty pricey. I wonder if the ride and handling will improve enough to justify the expense?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts

·
5,761 Posts
I believe that the flow of fluid through a narrow orifice is what controls the rebound of the springs in the forks on my ultra. I also believe this system is commonly called a shock absorber. Maybe the term forks should have been used. I believe you knew what I was talking about. Or perhaps I'm giving you too much credit.
Technically it's closer to a McPherson strut, but it's all the same function. I have only heard them called forks to this point.

When you walk into a parts store and ask for front shocks on your ultra, they may think you have no clue what your talking about. Rebuilding the front forks and replacing the emulators (The control valve head) on a Electra Glide (Standard, classic or Ultra) is not a job for a beginner.
My first response was more to see what level you are at and if you should be advised to have a shop do this upgrade for you or if you should try this at home.
There are special tools needed, and if you are not careful, you could get hurt or break something in the proses. If it is not set-up correctly, you will end up with a ill-handling bike that can be worse then it was when you started.

To do this, you will need to remove the fairing, the front tire, the fender and the brake calipers to do a full one rebuild. Yes, some don't but to do it right you should.
Then there are the alignment issues when you re-assemble and you should clean and repack your steering head while you have it tore down.

Talk to a couple Indy shop and get a couple quote before you tear into it.
In the long run, it could be the cheapest way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts