V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
17,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 fxdx-t, 9000 miles, replaced the front isolator mount today. $117 for the part. 10 minutes to install. Has anyone else had this problem?
Fred

·
Banned
17,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It must have been on the verge of breaking because it didn't officially break untill the Dyno test when it was revved up to redline. I never do that on my own. When I went to leave the shop I could hear clunking and mucho vibration in the footpegs. The front isolater was completely cracked and the leading edge on the engine was banging on the frame and the rear brake fluid resevoir was pulled into the bracket for my Samson exhaust. Then engine was still held on by the bolts and not in danger of falling out or anything like that but the Dyna was no longer "rubber isolated".
The dyno run showed that I needed new plug wires and also that the baffle in my pipe was too small and I should put the larger baffle back in. (Samson Caliber comes with a small and a large). Quality braided plug wires were $45.
I had no idea they would be that much. At least they won't short out in a monsoon rain like my old ones did last weekend. I never had rain soak through my black leather jacket before. Not to mention that my 1 month old Metzler 880 picked up a nail right in the groove. A plug would have been safe around town but not on a trip. Fortunately, someone just a few days ago traded in a brand new Dunlop 401 for a Metzler 880 and my indy let me have it FOR FREE! I just had to pay for installation. This whole brouhaha started just because I originally went in for new rear brake pads, kevlar not scintered.
Damn, this is an expensive toy. Excuse me, expensive way of life.
Fred

1 - 3 of 3 Posts