V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a set of the Front Fork tin and tube covers on a Fatboy? I have a 2002 Fatboy that I want to change out the tin version with the chrome version. I purchased a set from GoParts.com and started to install them but changed my mind because it looked to be difficult task. Unfortunately they did not come with any instructions. I'm wondering if I would have bought an OEM version through my local HD shop if they would have came with instructions. If someone has a set that they can make a copy of and send to me it wood be greatly appreciated!

My issues /concerns:
To remove the Front Fork tin do it looks like you have to remove the headlight and assembly. When I started to do this I could not find a way to remove the assembly without cutting the four wires. Does this eventually plug into a wire harness under the gas tank that it can easily be unplugged from? I did not want to take off the tank until I new for sure that this was an option. I sure hope my only option is not to cut the wires and then try to re-splice them.
Removing the tube covers also seems difficult. It looks like you have to remove the complete shock assembly. It looks like the first step would be to remove the large nut on top of the triple tree?!?!?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiggs,
I installed the chrome set on a buddy's '96 Heritage. I wouldn't say the job is difficult but I would highly recommend having the service manual handy. Look over the diagrams in the manual and you can see how all of the pieces fit together.
First of all, do not cut your wires. There is a modular block tucked away under the gas tanks (you need to remove them in order to do the job right). Just unplug the connector and the unbolt the headlight assembly.
To answer your second question, yes you need to remove the fork tubes from the trees. Once again look at the service manual and follow the instructions for removing the forks.

Don't be intimidated by the job. It is not difficult and it is a good way to become familiar with your bike. Be carefull and have patience.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

d

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is not a difficult job. If you are replacing the upper fork covers (the cowbells) you do have to take the forks out of the triple trees. You will need a bike lift for this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts