V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- I am not sure what to do .The owners manual & shop manaul both say change the front fork oil at 50k I hear others say that they did it at 20k???
I have 20k now it is a 2005 flht. I am geting ready to put tires on and brakes so on the front I would have to just take off the fender and remove the forks and take them to a indy. to get the fluid out and the spring side done .I think. so the question is should i do it now or wait to 50k?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
HD service interval used to be 10K, then it went to 20K, then to 50K. Your call.

It's a major PIA to pull the forks off a FLHT. Is/was much, much easier when front forks had air in them and the air valve could be used to refill without doing anything but removing the drain plug and innards of the air valve.

·
Registered
929 Posts
does your bike have the cartridge in the left? My bike doesn't & if that is the case, you dont remove the forks. Drain screws at bottom of each fork. Remove the panel at ignition switch, remove LARGE cap on top of fork & put in proper amount of fluid with a funnel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PosseRider said:
does your bike have the cartridge in the left? My bike doesn't & if that is the case, you dont remove the forks. Drain screws at bottom of each fork. Remove the panel at ignition switch, remove LARGE cap on top of fork & put in proper amount of fluid with a funnel.
Mine is a 05 I would think it does it does have drain plugs on the bottoms

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
I changed my recently during my 20k service. New fluid made a big difference in my ride. It is very easy to change. I would do it now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WEINERDOGBONE said:
I changed my recently during my 20k service. New fluid made a big difference in my ride. It is very easy to change. I would do it now.
easy?? Did you pull your forks off?

·
Still in one piece
269 Posts
You can drain and refill thru drain plugs in the bottom of the legs if you have them. Drain out the old stuff and suck up the fresh fluid thru the same hole. I only had to remove my headlight to gain access to the individual hoses. Oh, by the way, make sure to release the air pressue BEFORE you pull the plug....don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fresnohog said:
You can drain and refill thru drain plugs in the bottom of the legs if you have them. Drain out the old stuff and suck up the fresh fluid thru the same hole. I only had to remove my headlight to gain access to the individual hoses. Oh, by the way, make sure to release the air pressue BEFORE you pull the plug....don't ask me how I know.
I have heard that I need to remove the legs and take them to a shop to do the work.that way they can do the work on the left one with the spring.????

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
mtairy biker said:
easy?? Did you pull your forks off?
No!! I took the caps off and removed the drain screws. I replaced the screws and washers with new ons and re-filled the forks. I believe we must be talking about two different things. I'll withdraw before I screw you up any more.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
WEINERDOGBONE said:
No!! I took the caps off and removed the drain screws. I replaced the screws and washers with new ons and re-filled the forks. I believe we must be talking about two different things. I'll withdraw before I screw you up any more.
He's talking a FLHT and you're not. Too different animals when it comes to front forks.

Mtairy Biker:

HD added the cartridge to the left fork on EG's in 2002. Don't remember when they removed it again, either 05 or 06. Get a service manual and follow it.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Pretty sure the '05's have the cartridge in the left fork which requires a special spring compressor or some kind of expensive tool to take the leg apart.
Somewhere I think I remember seeing where you could convert the cartridge to newer style internal parts for about the price of a professional fork oil change. The advantage being the ability to change oil in the future without dissambling the fork.
Anybody remember this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just did the 20K service on my 05 Softail. That fork oil was dirty, smelly and a skanky gray color. I would recommend changing it at 20K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts