V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I hit a pothole on my 03 RKC the other day and I just noticed that the front fender hit the crash bar and put a dent in the fender when the suspension bottomed, What would cause this?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Some thicker forker oil might help bottoming out. Got a dent on top of my front fender too. Bought some SE oil but never but it in. Theres a couple grades of fork oil, I went one heavier then stock. Also have you checked air in suspension? they leak.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it is normal, Someone else said it happened to them when they were trailering the bike and had it tied down tight, I will look into thicker oil, There is no air on the front forks of mine so I can't try that. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
My wrench put in some stuff that Honda makes. The difference in front end stiffness was amazing. If he went to Honda for anything it must be VERY good as he is a HD bigot to the max and knows his HD wrenching. Not sure what label but he described it a Honda Racing fork oil.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I did it, execpt mine hit the brake line tee. I ask an indy buddy how many he sees a year that have hit. He said quite a few. Anyway, I put in SE oil. It stiffened the front end up quite a bit.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Got a question, Have any of you guys lowered your bikes, if so How and How much?
Just curious, since I would think this should not happen on a stock bike.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
LittleBear said:
Got a question, Have any of you guys lowered your bikes, if so How and How much?
Just curious, since I would think this should not happen on a stock bike.
My bike is stock. I know when mine happened....I was riding two-up, braked and hit a hole at the same time.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my RK last year. In addition to the top of the crash bar denting the fender, the clutch cable dented it as well.
Heavier fork oil and, if applicable, more air in the front shocks should help reduce the chance of that happening.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I should be glad I installed Progressive front springs and made the spacer 1/4 inch longer to add stiffness to the front end. I think the Progressive springs were larger coils than stock and will reach coil bind before I hit the fender, at least I hope. I have done what you did, brake and hit a hole and felt like I bottomed out, and never had a problem with the fender hitting. Bike is a '99 EG.
I put the springs in right after I bought it, so I guess I never gave it chance to hit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I lowered my front end but also lowered the fender the same amount to keep the factory spec. distance from the brake splitter and crash bar to the fender in order to avoid this problem. I was warned about it from the dealer when I lowered the front end. I put about 4,000 mi on it after I lowered the front end, before putting the fender on, and never had a problem despite hitting some pretty big potholes after last winters rains here in So. Calif. I feel more comfortable now though, knowing that I now have the original distances from the fender.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Mines lowered. Last time I did it, small section of pavement was cut out. I don't think its happened since added air. But I don't run into that bad off stuff every day.

Fast Eddie I like that fender. Was thinking about putting something stripped down on. Is that a FLHRS? Anyone know if it will fit as is?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is stock hight, I did the same as xxxflhrci, Seen the pothole, Hit the brakes hard and hit the hole at the same time, I am 270 lbs so, That might explain that,
I am stripping it down and repainting this winter, I just would not want it to happen when I am done, I might go with the fatboy type fender, Would that gain more clearance?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Could get a fender that isn't drilled and drill the holes higher. Nt sure if the fatboy fender is any lower.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes. It's a FLHRS. You can get the brackets to lower the fender and install it yourself or you can buy a complete fender with the bracket already installed. Lowers it a little over 1". I did that and sold the stock fender. If you do it be sure to seal where the bracket attaches to the inside of the fender with sealant or weld bead to keep out water and prevent future rust. Will fit all Touring models. Wild Bills Custom Cycles ( www.wildbillscycles.com ) offers the complete fender or just the brackets as does Native Custom Cycles (contact Paul @[email protected]). Another benefit (in my opinion) is that this removes the rivets from the fender.

·
Registered
247 Posts
2001 FLH......5 lbs of air in the front, stock height. I hit me a pothole from Hell 2 nights ago...and yep...fender tapped the crash bar (and my nuts ended up next to my spleen). Heavier fork oil (screaming eagle) is now in there along with 15 lbs of air. This is somethin that just shouldnt happen IMO. Live and learn i guess.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Dontdial911 said:
......5 lbs of air in the front.....
Feel stupid here.... :dunno:

OK, I am new to touring bikes ('05 FLHTCUI) and have been accused of being retarded in the past (several times...) but....

Which bikes have stock air pressure adjustment on the front?? If the '05 EG's do I feel really dumb. :huh:

And before the :RTFB: I shipped all of my stuff except my bike and some clothes back to the mainland.

With that question asked, why do I see some wild-goose chases in the near future......

Allen

·
BFFB
833 Posts
stock 03 with no air assist , i have one too , had one on my last flh also , when i do the fork oil i will make a spacer like little bear , this will help with cornering clearance too , until then i wont worry about the dent , i wouldnt want to fix it twice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts