V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 Ultra with 18K has developed a wooble when I decelerate from anywhere between 35 and 55 MPH. This happens when I'm not holding the bars, and gets to the point of 3 to 4 inch swing back and forth. I know you should hold on, but the point is, there is something amiss. HD replaced the rear tire this spring and did a 10K check at 13K. Anyone out there have any ideas? HD's cure is to hold on tight. I want the bike 100%, not 1/2 a**ed as far as handling.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Dogbreath said:
My 06 Ultra with 18K has developed a wooble when I decelerate from anywhere between 35 and 55 MPH. This happens when I'm not holding the bars, and gets to the point of 3 to 4 inch swing back and forth. I know you should hold on, but the point is, there is something amiss. HD replaced the rear tire this spring and did a 10K check at 13K. Anyone out there have any ideas? HD's cure is to hold on tight. I want the bike 100%, not 1/2 a**ed as far as handling.
Check the alignment of the back tire. If it is not align right it will cause that.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Granted it's a different bike with a different front end but, same exact problem at the same speed on my FXST. Steering head bearings were too loose.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Maxum96 said:
Granted it's a different bike with a different front end but, same exact problem at the same speed on my FXST. Steering head bearings were too loose.
Given that the dealer should have checked it, might be good to check again. There is a thread somewhere covering the HD way vs the right way of checking the steering head. Also, are you sure the front calipers/rotors are working correctly?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
The alignment suggestion is my guess. My GW used to do that after a tire replacement by an Indy.
After alignment, no more wiggle~!Awesome!

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
Maxum96 said:
I agree. Happened on my Heritage Softail and when the steering head bearing were adjusted, it was like riding a brand new bike.

·
Flying low
812 Posts
What about under heavy braking? My Ultra, I noticed, has developed a slight but disconcerting wobble when you're really on the brakes hard. I'm talking about maximum effort braking, or close to it. That's really NOT the time you want to feel something new and different! Tire pressure is good, it's an '03 Ultra so there really is no rear wheel alignment.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check the rear alignment. HD put a rear tire on in June. I'll also check alternate ways to check the steering head tightness. HD method does sound weak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same problem here. If I decrease my hands pressure on the grips (don't need to take my hands off) my 89 EG starts to wobble. It starts with a low amplitude vibration and it increases very fast. But when I grab the handlebar again it ceases immediately.
I have already checked the tires-OK, swing arm bushings-OK, rear bumpers-OK, front suspension (air and oil)-OK and engine adjustable mount (front and top)-OK and the problem continues.
This weekend I will check the steering bearings adjustment.
It's a very boring problem because it may have not just one cause.
I will keep you updated. ;)

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Steering head bearings are too loose.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I'd check everything that the MoFuCo has worked on. Pal of mine had the rear tire replaced on his '04 Ultra just before we started to tour the 'Blue Ridge'. After 1,000 miles he was wobbling all over the place. We found at least 8 loose wire spokes and two broken ones on his rear wheel. The MoFuCo's 'Techs' had replaced the tire and done nothing else.
That was 'American Harley/Davidson' in Ann Arbor.

·
Registered
905 Posts
if its not rear tire alignment id guess the front bearings next.Id say you have enough mile to justify checking bearings and greasing them anyway.If the wobble started right after replacing tire Iwould say its pretty much going to be there.Differant situation but Ive had new tires on race car that would almost shake you off the dragstrip at 1000' mark.There is chance its bad tire with bad cord.If you know someone with simular bike that will let swap tires for test run it would tell you for sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts