V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed the front end shaking when you get behind a semi ? I have spoke with a couple other v-rod owners and some say they have and some say they havent felt this unstable feeling while in a semi's draft . I think it maybe the radiator scoops catching the turbulent wind !

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
RKG1,

I just got home from a small road trip and I passed and was passed by several semis (followed behind 'em too). I didn't notice any front end problems at speeds from 60-80 mph on my road king.

Regards,

wyodude

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have for sure......

but this bein my first bike and me bein a newbie, i thought this normal and it happened to all bikes in the wake of semi's.......i feel it behind cars or pickups too

i was thinkin that mine may steer to easily------asked the mechanic at the 1K mark and he said they do become easier-------i thought that you needed some slight resistence-------she is very responsive, and easy to turn

Hutch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't think it is unique to your bike. When I opened one up on the highway to see what it did it scared the $hit out of me. When blowing by some trucks, like cabovers and Pete's that leave a lot of dirty air it does a number on the VRod's. First it pushes you over a lane and then it sucks you into the truck.

It has to be a combination of the light weight and the solid wheels as well as the fact the bike is packaged real tight, sort of like riding a piece of plywood at 120.

The two guys that have them don't ride them on the highway anymore as it happens even if you slow down to 80 or so and the trucks pass you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think Hippo has explained it. A combination of a relatively light front end with the solid wheel makes it a little wobbly behind trucks.

My experience does not drive me to stop traveling on highways, however. It's just a trait of the Vrod you need to be aware of. All bikes have unique areas to be careful.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I've seen some comments about this situation on some other sites. After folks have talked it out, it doesn't seem to be uniquely VRSC . Rather, almost any lighter bike will experience what RKG1 described.

Ride that V-Rod long and far. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
10/4 Pasadenajim----plus some comfort feedback

i agree-----its not so much as a front end shake , as a whole bike buffeting-------rode maybe 200 mi in northeast ohio over the weekend------we had a lot off high wind------rod ran good and tracked nice------got on the freeway a few times-----she got biffed , but i did not feel as though i didn't have control

there were times i hit 75/80 goin around trucks + i had a stong headwind, so this had to equate to at least 100 mph wind speed-----i dont have a windshield so i take some chest blast-----find that if i lean a little forward at that speed the bike smooths out some........

i'm approaching 1400 mi.--------she runnin good-----dont have the slightest sign of an oil or coolant leak

find i could use a different seat------need more surface area under my butt--------find myself shiftin and scootchin in the seat to get comfortable-------too , i want more positions for my feet-------thought about bars with some pegs----

my 2 cents..........Hutch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts