V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a wrecked fat boy (only way I can talk the ol' lady into owning 2 bikes - it's a loooong story!) to repair. The bike took a hit to the front end and the front fork assembly will need to be replaced/repaired. Any thoughts on how difficult and expensive it might be to replace the entire front end assembly? I'm guessing that I can do the front end work myself minus paint to the front fender.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If it took a shot hard enough to trash the front end, can you have any faith in the straightness of the frame? I'm not a bike mechanic so don't get all nervous based on MY question.

Chilly

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, good question but before I think about physically inspecting the bike I was curious to the costs involved with a front assembly replacement should the frame be straight.

Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm goin through the same thing on my 94 Nostalgia. If you go with HD stuff new,a complete front with wheel,rotor,caliper is about 1750. Good luck on finding a used one! I'm sure there's some takeoffs out there,but they're hard to find. You can aftermarket it for about 1/2 price. I'm going the ebay way and buying what I can used. Lots of pieces on there with some decent prices.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was gonna estimate $around $2000 from handle bar to ground.
Make sure the frameneck was not tweaked; if the front end is off,
run a broom stick down thru the neck and check it out; not perfect but a good idea if it's straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts