V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 02 fxdx with around 2500 miles on it the other day i got a wobble at low speed but when i went faster it went away, back down to 20 or so it came back. then at around 90 i got it bad and had to stop for a while and do some paper work if you know what i mean. has anyone else had this problem i can't get it to the dealer for awhile any suggestions

thx
sam

·
Registered
39 Posts
It sounds to be more of a mechanical problems than a tire problem. If it was a tire problem if it was noticeable at low speed it would not have gone away then come back at high speed. I would start with checking you wheel bearings first, I would also check you top motor mount.

One question, At 90 you should be in the4000rpm range, at what gear were you in at 20mph and what was you rpm’s or does it not matter what the rpm’s are at 20. I have a few other ideas but would like to be able to isolate the problem a little better.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Have you checked the simple stuff like correct tire pressure?

wyo

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Are you running the stock cast wheels for this bike?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had a similar problem with my Dyna @80mph. Turned out to be loose steering bearings. Mechanic tightened them up and no rpoblem since.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a 2001 fxdx I traded on my flht. Was running around 110 or so and the bike got in to the worst high speed wooble I ever experienced in 35 years of riding on any motorcycle. Had it checked out by the stealer here in olympia, wa. and every thing looked okay. Tech said ever fxdx he rode had the same thing, some better,some worse. His opinion is that the front end while the fork action being very quality feeling is too whimpy for the bike. He says they call it a sport but he says still cruiser.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I also had the same problem with my '00 Fatboy when it was new. After the steering head bearing were properly torqued it was like a new bike. I would take it back to the dealer and have a fall away test done as well as checking the other things mentioned here. It could be tire pressure, wheel balancing, improper oil levels in the forks,loose or broken motor mounts...lots of things. This isn't something to fool around with. Be careful and good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts