V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I have my first Harley...a '06 XL 1200c. Bike has 41 miles on it so far.

The front break makes a high pitched squeeling sound when coming to a full stop...it only happens when coming to a full stop and not at higher speeds. I'm applying equal pressure to the front and rear break.

Is this normal? Should I take this into my dealer?

Also the turn signals never turn off after turning a corner. Is this something I can adjust?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Front brake noise is pretty "normal". You might try putting a bevel on the leading edge of the pads or try some of that anti-squeal goop on the back of the pads. The anti-squeal stuff worked for me for a while, just didn't last. Finally I got Lyndall Z pads and have been happy ever since.
http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/home.htm

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
SQUEEEEEEAAAK...on my 05 FXDi. It's getting better than when it was brand spankin' new...it's got about 4000mi on it...damn, I need to get out and ride more. Thanks for the link on pads!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...makes me feel much better.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Have the dealer look at the turn signals, that is not right.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
The Noise is typical, but if you want to screw with the dealer that you bought it from take it back and tell them to fix it. They really shouldn't make any noise at all.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
LittleBear said:
Have the dealer look at the turn signals, that is not right.
@gree: Sounds like some electronic sensor isn't working properly.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Its good your using both brakes, try using the front a little more. With 41 miles on the bike its all still new stuff, needs to break in some. Read your book. The turn signals have speed/time/distance factors and should self cancel, read the book...:chopper:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I am Pablo from Spain. I an reading this forum since june but this is the first time I post.

I also have a '06 Sportster 883C. The noise you are talking about is the same i had the first hundreds of miles. It is pretty normal. The problem with the auto cancel of turns is something i also worried about at first. When I asked in another forum everybody said it is normal, sometimes they cancel and another times not, depending of the inclination angle. Can anyone confirm this?.

Thanks a lot for all the information I get from this forum, you all are the best.

Pablo

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
The auto-cancel turn signals on both my 2002 Dyna and the lovely bride's 2004 XL 1200C reliably cancel as expected. If yours don't there's a problem.

AS for the noise, run up to the auto parts store and buy a can of brake cleaner. Liberally douse the caliper and rotor assembly, let dry and do it again. This will wash away the gunk and quiet things down considerably. No, brake cleaner will not harm the paint, though it will strip off wax ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
brake squeel

my 2005 custom 1200 did the same thing and all of a sudden it got quieter as miles built up now i have 600 miles and it doesn,t seem to do anymore as far as canselling signals i didnot know they did this automatically untill i read the manual i allways did it manually by holding the turn signal button down till it stopped ????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts