V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I added chrome master cyliders and braided brake lines to my 02 king (HD brand). After several hundred miles, the front lever seemed to pull in further and further, untill it could be pulled all the way to the throttle grip. I had it re-bled, but it seems to be doing it agian (another 1,000 miles or so in a couple weeks). I don't notice any fluid leaking, and the mechanic checked the tightness of all the fasteners when he re-bled. Any ideas?

thx, greg

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They are hard to bleed by conventional methods, in particular with the master cylinder mounted to the bars.
The best way is with reverse injection, but if you don't have the tool you can try to retract the pistons fully, put the master cylinder in such a position that it is the highest point in the system even if it has to be removed from the handlebar and tap the calipers and lines with a plastic screwdriver handle along their lenght and then let it sit overnight.
Should work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I read on another forum that Ducati had a trick that sometimes works, and it did for the wife's Honda that would not stay bled. After doing the bleeding somehow clamp the brake lever as hard on as possible (using cable ties, a belt, rope, carpenter clamp) and leave it overnight before release. It is supposed to help make the seals seat or something. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yeah, that's a old Duck trick and may help.

Reverse injection just has solved this age old problem for good and the price of the systems has come down to where even a home guy can afford them. Around 100 bucks.
No different from some hydraulic clutches that are impossible to bleed any other way.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
HIPPO said:
Yeah, that's a old Duck trick and may help.

Reverse injection just has solved this age old problem for good and the price of the systems has come down to where even a home guy can afford them. Around 100 bucks.
Got an URL for this?
I was thinking Mityvac?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm curious. What is reverse injection and how does it work? thx again, greg

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There you go, read the site. Reverse Injection is how the factory bleeds the systems during production.

V20

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Also note the HD master cylinders are specifically listed under the problem systems.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Is the Mityvac not a less expensive version of the same thing? :confused:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No.

You can make something similar out of a mayonaise or peanut butter jar with a hermetically sealed top a few fittings and some hose as we did before they came up with this thing.

This is just more convenient and quicker.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
gbenner said:
After several hundred miles, the front lever seemed to pull in further and further, untill it could be pulled all the way to the throttle grip.

thx, greg
Could also be return spring inside the master cylinder?
Just a thought, but I doubt it could be pulled all the way to the throttle grip.
Just replaced mine, it was doing the same thing but nowhere near as bad as yours sounds.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Harleyhog,

I'm going to have to redo both brakes in a few weeks (extended foot controls and Ape hangers).
Do you know of any place I might get one of those Mytivacs from?

Thanks for helping.
Ciao

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
94c4 said:
Harleyhog,
Do you know of any place I might get one of those Mytivacs from?

Ciao
Here ya go... Premier Tools

I'm not too sure if they do the 'Shooter' though.
Got a reply from the 'Mityvac' Parent Co. in the US regarding a UK supplier of this. (Shooter)

As follows:-

J&S Products
Unit 46 Hellesdon Park Road
Drayton High Road
Norwich, Norfolk
England NR3 5DR

Ph: 011-44-1603-402850
Fx: 011-44-1603-483684

Their web site is Here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts