V-Twin Forum banner

Front brakes shoes dragging

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  MadCity 
#1 ·
The brakes seem to drag on the rotor. It's particularly noticable to me when the bike is shut off and I'm pushing it out of garage, but I've had other riders tell me they can hear it when I ride. Only have about 800 mi. on it, should they be adjusted or will they wear in soon?

#4 ·
My experience has been that all disk braded bikes drag to some extent. I've noticed that the V-Rod doesn't roll as easlily as my Sabre, which has to be due to either 1) brake drag or 2) drag in trans-belt drive

Pete

#5 ·
I think they all drag to a certain extent, the main question is are they dragging too much the best way to find out is when riding it and you either pull in the clutch or let off the gas does the bike slow fairly quickly or does it coast. I know when I push mine around I can hear the brakes especially the fronts dragging but that isn’t a problem on the road.

Dave

#8 ·
Clicking when stopping

This usually only happens when you use the front brake to slow you the last 5 mph. I usually use the front brake to bring me down from speed, and then gradually ease on the pressure on the rear brake to bring me to a complete stop. The last tiny bit of forward momentum I stop with the rear brake only. Using this technique shifts the weight back and prevents the fork from diving. If you ever ride two-up, this is especially useful, as it prevents your passenger from bumping heads with you at stop lights.

#9 ·
Dragging brakes

The front brakes drag on my 883 as well. After performing a search, it seems that this is normal. Mine irritate the H**L out of me, can hear the dragging brake sound echoing off buildings/houses as I ride between them. Is there a quick fix for this? Thanks,

Scott

#11 ·
Right now just over 1288 miles, guess I'll wait and see/listen after some more miles are racked up.

#12 ·
I also have the dragging brake issue. I have 1500 miles on my bike. I have also noticed it on 2 other 2003 v-rods while riding in a group. Haven't talked to dealer yet, but as everyone here is saying "It's normal??) I does bother the hell out of me as well.

#13 ·
vrsc said:
I also have the dragging brake issue. I have 1500 miles on my bike. I have also noticed it on 2 other 2003 v-rods while riding in a group. Haven't talked to dealer yet, but as everyone here is saying "It's normal??) I does bother the hell out of me as well.
If it's not normal we all have some complaining to do, because mine do it too. I've got about 1400 miles on mine. It is a bit annoying but I can't say that I've noticed any premature wearing of the pads and the brakes work great.

#14 ·
I've got 10,000 + miles on mine and they still drag:rolleyes: If I remember right Hippo indicated that EBC makes a pad the helps this.

#17 ·
Just did a search about this issue after riding today, then noticing that rubbing sound, particularly on my front brake while pushing the bike back into its garage space. I'm glad to hear folks say that it's normal and not to worry about it. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow on another matter anyway, though, so I think I'll ask about it and get double reassurance that this is normal. Mine's a 2003 XL1200C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.