V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have A 97' Road King And The Rear Brake Light Flickers Due To The Front Brake Lever Shaking. I Assume After Taking Apart That The Front Master Cylinder Piston Does Not Hold The Lever Against The Stop Switch Or Would The Switch Itself Be Defective?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
one issue could be

one issue could be the gap between the switch and the lever is to small. An old Harley trick is to use a cardboard space (1/8 to 1/4 inch) between the lever and the housing. That allows the switch to have some clearance between it sand the lever.

Don't feel bad I think every one who has ever taken that unit apart learned the hard way why the brake light stay on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are you suggesting spacing between the switch itself and the brake lever to allow the gap to close whcih would in turn push the switch in until the barke lever is pulled?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
shaking...

You may have worn parts or after market parts that don't fit as good as H-D pieces. Possibly {maybe} a bad spring in the master cylinder. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Harley manual

I guess I should have included the statement the procedure for the spacer in the lever trick is outlined in the Harley manaus from the 80's on. It not to complicated but more that a paragraph for this forum.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
brake light

Just curious. Did you recently get into the right side handle bar switches? It sounds to me like maybe the copper clip that slides in behind the stoplamp switch is either missing or fallen out of place. It's a V-shaped piece of copper that sits behind the switch and puts constant pressure on the switch to make contact with the handle. When you squeeze the front brake handle it moves away from the switch allowing the button to extend and make electrical contact. I lost mine recently and substituted a small piece of plastic tye wrap cut to fit. Sofar, so good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did recently replace the switches with chrome. So last night I checked for the copper wedge and it was in place. I think I have a weak spring for the piston since when I pull the brake lever and release, the piston never comes all the back out. I can pull it with pliers but then when used, the same thing happens.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Barry Weeks said:
Yes I did recently replace the switches with chrome. So last night I checked for the copper wedge and it was in place. I think I have a weak spring for the piston since when I pull the brake lever and release, the piston never comes all the back out. I can pull it with pliers but then when used, the same thing happens.
One other thing to look at is the switch itself. Is it properly seated after you put it back in? I've had mine "hang up" a little when reinstalling and it wouldn't let the button work properly.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
This same thing happened to me. Turned out I broke the very tip of the switch when I changed my brake and clutch levers. It's hard to notice unless you can compare it to a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts