V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read all threads about bleeding brakes. I have done most all, tapping the lines while pumping brake lever, tieing the brake lever back for a day, and lastly using a Mityvac to get the air out. I still only have about 1/2 front brake pedal. I am sure that I have gotten all the air.

Is there something else I should be looking for?

2003 Duece, dual front cal.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Having had a simular problem with my 1200S brakes the only thing I didn't try was to pull a vacuum from the top of the reservoir.

Finally went to a single disc setup...:xhere:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Take a look at your master cylinder. If, while the lid is off, you squeeze the lever you should see the fluid move. If you see a metalic residue in your fluid (almost resembling metalic fingernail polish), it may be the master cylinder wearing out causing it to loose the pressure when applying the brake.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jockeyshift, you may have hit it right on the head. I can see the brake fluid moving in the M/C, and it did have a metalic residue. Its gone now, i guess from bleeding (used a pint of fluid).

Can the master cycl. be rebuilt?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Yes, the MC can be rebuilt, but I have never done one. When mine crapped out, I just purchased another one. HD and others sells a kit with the plunger and other hardware. I'm not sure what needs to be done with the bore in the MC. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

·
fatbillscustoms
157 Posts
Why did you bleed the brakes? What brake kind of brake line do you have?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
muffdr said:
I have searched and read all threads about bleeding brakes. I have done most all, tapping the lines while pumping brake lever, tieing the brake lever back for a day, and lastly using a Mityvac to get the air out. I still only have about 1/2 front brake pedal. I am sure that I have gotten all the air.

Is there something else I should be looking for?

2003 Duece, dual front cal.
I had a pocket of water in the piston bore of the caliper that gave a the pedal a mushy feeling. Replaced all the rubber in the brake cylinders (master/caliper) and all was good

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
brakes...

Is this a "new problem"? What was the last thing that was "fixed"?

...With two calipers both sets of pistons retract, pushing twice the amount of fluid back into the lines/resesvoir. This distance/volume has to refilled before the pistons/pads/disc can make contact. {perhaps}

...the hole{s} in the reservoir were drilled in the wrong place. {maybe}

...there was a bubble I could not get out. {maybe}

....the brake lines were shot. {no}

and other thoughts kept me :wacko: with the 1200s.

My RK has the same "distance" thing {at the lever} but it has never caused me any second thoughts...-2$en#e-

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
DUAL front caliper? Deuces don't come with duals, did you change the master cylinder out?

If you just added a caliper, and the brake line splitter, that would be your problem. Single caliper brakes use a different bore in the m/c than do dual caliper.

Of course, if you did do this ignore this post. Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss something there.

Also.... a problem I see often on bikes with dual calipers (I'm a tech).... the outside of the pistons may need to be cleaned up. Remove one caliper, squeeze brake lever until pistons drive pads together. If one piston isn't moving out, that's a problem. Spray brake cleaner on the pistons well, get an old toothbrush in there and scrub the outside of pistons. Slide putty knife between pads and pry them apart (be careful here). Repeat on that side a few times, then reinstall that caliper and do the other side.

I see this all the time on 3 year old (certainly older) touring bikes. Not sure if the hydraulic pressure isn't quite great enough to overcome grit interfering with the squared off o-ring or something.

Have had a few customers come in and say they've tried everything (multiple bleedings, etc), and have a "soft "lever. I'll do this, and the lever is hard as a rock !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer a few questions:

2003 Screamin Eagle Duece/ dual caliper front brakes/ S/S braided lines.

Everything stock.

I just bought the bike, I bled the brakes because I only have about 1/2 pedal and mushy.

Ive tried everything I read from your post, and I think I have gotten all the air out. There was a metalic residue in the bottom of the M/C.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
muffdr said:
To answer a few questions:

2003 Screamin Eagle Duece/ dual caliper front brakes/ S/S braided lines.

Ive tried everything I read from your post, and I think I have gotten all the air out. There was a metalic residue in the bottom of the M/C.

Thanks for the replies.
If it's metal, I would change out the master cylinder assembly and disassemble the calipers for a good cleaning and all new rubber. Flush the brake lines with brake cleaner and check for the residue. Maybe some manufacturing debris got into the system through the brake lines....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts