V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor was waxing his 06 Softail Deluxe today and while it was up on his jack, I noticed that there was an oily substance around where the front brake hose is swag ed onto the line under the steering head lower bearing area. I peeled back the protective sleeve (the plastic sleeve to prevent the hose from bending too far at point of line contact) and there was a drop of brake fluid comming out and I wiped it off with my finger and showed it to him. I told him he needs to have it replaced ASAP. Not only due to the safety standpoint but it wouldnt be wise to let brake fluid drip onto the top of his front fender. He finished waxing it and drove to the dealer in Dothan Alabama, who promptly told him that everything was fine and they "Tightened it up". When my neighbor told me this, I said the SM at that dealership is so full of ****, I could smell him from where we were standing (over 75 miles away).

I will be in the first group of people to raise their hands and say "I don't know it all" but after being a certifed technician for over 35 years, I can say that is bull ****. That dealers SM is going to get someone dead one day due to his unwillingness to actually perform a repair under warranty. They did manage to sell him a braided cable set. Wow, what a way to cover your ass and get paid for it to boot.

Has anyone around here had a problem with the front brake hose leaking brake fluid at the swage point connection with the metal line, at the location of where it is anchored to the lower steering bracket?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have not experienced a leak in that area, however if its a flared fitting, tightening it is the recommended method to stop a leak.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's where the rubber hose meets the metal tube. There is nothing there to tighten. If you follow the brake hose up from the calipers banjo fitting to where it contacts the metal line at the base of the steering head (above the fender), that is where the leak is. The fluid is comming out from between the hose and the protective band at this location.

It's not a major leak at present but if you move the hose, you will get brake fluid moisture visible . I told him to keep an eye on the leakage until they get a chance to put it to him errr, I mean put the new line (braided) on.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I know just enough about these bikes to get me in trouble -- but I believe you're right! The braided lines come in pieces, and do tighten up in that area. But the OEM factory lines are one piece. Shame on that dealer. :nunu:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
A few yrs ago I replaced the stock front brake lines on my RK with braided. I saved the stock brake lines, just located them, and they are one piece like you indicated. Sounds like softails are one piece as well in stock form. Braided lines are not and have flared fittings in the area of your described leak. Sounds like there must be a crack causing your leak. I agree that I would question what the service dept 'tightened'. If the bike is still under a warranty, the brake line could be replaced with new stock parts and forgo the extra cost for braided lines. I would be very cautious about riding the bike until the leak is fixed.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Question about front brakes

Since we're on the subject of brakes ...
Reading this thread raised a question for me. Everyone says the front softail brake line is one piece. So I guess that rules out reusing the steel tubing that runs behind the springs on my bike, is that correct? I'm thinking of switching out the handlebars and would need a longer brake line (I want to keep black rubber-coated lines for the old-school look). I was hoping the tubing had a connector that would work with a new longer hose. It that's the case and I can't reuse the existing tubing, is there somewhere I can get new tubing that will work with a standard brakeline?​

1 - 6 of 6 Posts